Giving speeches can be incredibly intimidating, no matter if it’s for school, a job, a conference…it’s scary!
What’s even a little more intimidating is giving a persuasive speech. I remember when I took a class where we had to learn the “art of persuasion,” as they call it, and it was unnerving knowing that I had to try to get a group of people in my class to agree with me on something they may have entirely different opinions about.
While I had to take an entire class to sort of understand how a persuasive speech works, I did all of that so you don’t have to.
This is a one-stop-shop to persuasive speeches, from learning what they are, what makes them up, tips on how to write and present, and even 140 persuasive speech topics that you can either use yourself or use as a jumping-off point to find something you like even more!
In this post:
- What is a Persuasive Speech?
- Components of a Persuasive Speech
- Tips to Write a Good Persuasive Speech Topic
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Health
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Religion
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on the Arts
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Sports
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Economics
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Entertainment
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Academics
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Ethics
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on the Environment
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Fashion
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Motivation
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Travel
- Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Technology
What is a Persuasive Speech?
A persuasive speech has one very clear goal – for the speaker to convince (or persuade) the audience into believing or at least accepting the speaker’s specific viewpoint.
Mastering persuasive speeches can be super helpful in a bunch of different fields. Whether you’re in an actual debate, trying to land a sales pitch, in a law office, or even just in a classroom, persuasive speaking is incredibly common in our everyday lives.
Even though we use persuasive speeches or language throughout our day-to-day lives, persuasive speeches can be traced all the way back to Aristotle! He came up with the components of logical reason (logos), human character (ethos), and emotion (pathos) – but we’ll get more into those in a second.
Persuasive speeches are important to master because understanding how to craft and eventually present them means you are picking up incredibly vital tools.
Learning how to capture the attention of an audience, organize information in a logical and clear manner, and connect with an audience so that they trust you enough to believe what you’re saying will not only make for a great speech, but will set you up with tools that you can carry into different situations.
So, now that you know a little bit about what a persuasive speech is and what its goals are, let’s get into the…
Components of a Persuasive Speech
When I was a junior in college, I took an entire class about the art of persuasion.
Now, I took a whole course on it, so obviously there is a lot to creating a strong persuasive speech, but here are the main components to keep in mind for when you start building one.
Ethos: this is the part of a persuasive speech that builds trust and establishes credibility.
Ethos can be used throughout, but you mainly want to use it at the beginning of your speech, in the introduction. It’s a way of getting the audience to trust you.
One way to create a strong ethos is by sharing a personal story of how you connect to the topic of your speech.
Another way is to tell the audience what authority you have in giving the speech – i.e., if you’re a doctor presenting about economics, the audience might not think you have as strong of credibility, whereas if you were a doctor presenting about the importance of a healthy diet, it would be easier to trust the information.
Pathos: now, this is all about emotion.
My professor would always advise us on the importance of a strong emotional appeal when giving a persuasive speech.
While at first, I didn’t necessarily get what she meant, when I wrote my speech about the importance of birth control coverage, I learned that my argument was stronger when I told the audience why I was passionate about the subject.
Kind of like with ethos, where the audience wants to make sure the speaker is knowledgeable about the subject, pathos makes a persuasive speech more convincing because the audience sees and hears the passion in what you’re saying.
When I started my speech talking about my own personal struggles with birth control, my argument was much more convincing than if I had just started with facts and figures, because the audience got to see a side of me that let them know what I was saying was raw and real.
Logos: even though you don’t want to start with the facts and figures, logos are probably the most important part of your speech, because it’s all about logic and providing support to your argument.
After telling the audience why I was so passionate about fair access to birth control, I started sharing statistics that demonstrated how many individuals do not have access to any contraceptives.
Logic and reason, here, are usually provided through evidence or stories that can be used as support. If you think of your speech kind of like an essay, this is the part where you are providing facts to back up your claims – except you’re speaking it!
You can really tell a well-crafted persuasive speech by whether or not the speaker solely relies on logos. Obviously, having credible sources, points, and evidence are all super vital to your argument and ability to persuade someone, but unless you establish credibility and shared emotion, you are just relying on facts.
In the world we live in today, in order to convince someone you are right, you have to appeal to all aspects of their identity, and that isn’t just about the facts.
If there is any advice I can give you when it comes to mastering the components of a persuasive speech and really making sure you get to the hearts of the audience, it’s to outline what you want to say with these three major components in mind.
When I wrote my speech, I started by just telling my story, and then moved into talking about how I researched the topic and looked at many different sources.
In a way, I told the audience that even though I am not a medical professional, my information is credible because I took the time to understand the laws in place, societal perceptions of contraception, etc.
THEN I moved into the statistics, figures, personal accounts, quotations from different laws, and so on.
Throughout the speech, even when I was talking about the logos side of things, I still made sure that I connected my points to my personal experience to keep drawing the audience into my story as well as the facts.
If you really take the time to think about each of these components and making sure they come to life, you will increase your chances of convincing at least one person that what you are saying is right.
Tips to Write a Good Persuasive Speech Topic
So, you’ve finally made it to the part where you must craft your speech. What’s important to remember while writing a persuasive speech is that you want to sound like yourself!
While these tips can help guide you in making sure your speech is well structured, always keep in mind that a speech won’t be very good if it’s fake.
While these tips can lead you in the right direction, just make sure that you add some of your personality – if you’re goofier, incorporate some jokes. Take these tips and make them your own! That’s how your speech is really going to shine.
Without further ado:
- Grab their attention from the very beginning. Whether it’s sharing a personal anecdote, shocking people with a wild statistic, or telling a joke, the best way to make sure people are engaged from start to finish is by drawing them in with something exciting.
- Make sure you find something in common with the audience. In a speech class I took, my professor talked about the importance of common ground. To really be persuasive, you must show your audience that they have a reason to trust you. Whether it’s talking about a personal experience that a lot of people can relate to, or certain beliefs you know your audience may hold, finding a reason to make the audience trust you will help them to be persuaded.
- Provide the audience with a roadmap. Right before you get into the nitty-gritty, it might be a good idea to let your audience know what to expect.
- Remember the power of repetition. This doesn’t mean saying the same sentence over and over again in the exact same way, but always come back to the same ideas or keywords to really help the audience remember what the point is.
- Don’t freak if you mess up. Everyone gets nervous, and letting your nerves take over when trying to persuade someone will probably do you more harm than good in the long run. Either gloss over a mistake or even just say “you know what, I’m talking a bit too fast and stumbling over my words, I just get so excited talking about __________. Let me take a breath and calm down.”
- Color code your written speech! This is not only helpful to do so that you can make sure you have elements of ethos, pathos, and logos (by color-coding them different colors), it also makes it easier to memorize. I’ve used this trick countless times, and it’s so much easier to glance down at a sheet of paper when you get a little lost speaking and have your eyes know exactly where to go.
Here are also just a few quick tips to carry with you throughout the writing and speaking process:
- Write as you talk.
- Be concise in your points.
- Make eye contact when you speak.
- Practice. Practice. Practice.
- Don’t speak too quickly!
Now that you have an idea of what you’re doing, the next step is picking a topic. This part can be very intimidating, but don’t worry – I’ve got you covered with a bunch of different persuasive speech topics in different categories!
Top Persuasive Speech Topics (General)
Legalization and decriminalization of marijuana
- Students should be given textbooks for free
- Colleges should provide free parking to students
- Funding towards space exploration should be decreased exponentially, if not completely discontinued
- Parents should not have access to their children’s grades
- Can money buy happiness?
- You should read more books
- The legal age of adulthood should be changed to 21 (US)
- The drinking and smoking ages should be lowered to 18 (US)
- The moon landing: real or fake?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Health
- The ethics behind abortion – should it be legalized in all 50 states?
- Are non-GMO foods really more beneficial?
- Are energy drinks good for you?
- Why breakfast is the most important meal of your day
- Schools should (or shouldn’t) teach sex education
- The dangers of e-cigarettes, vapes, and Juuls to our health
- Plastic surgery should only be used on people who have been affected by appearance changing incidents and those who need it for their health – it should not be cosmetic
- Should we put more focus on developing widely accessible oral male birth control, or should it be up to the woman?
- Is the hybrid health care system as adopted in the US the best system for society?
- Should euthanasia be decriminalized?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Religion
- Is it ethical to allow teen marriages in church?
- Christian views on same-sex marriage
- Should religious businesses be allowed to withhold services to gay people?
- Should the church and the state truly be separate? Is that possible?
- Is atheism a threat to society?
- Should all schools teach some form of religion as part of their curriculum?
- What are the religious views on cloning?
- Can religion be attributed as the cause of most social and political conflicts in history?
- Do Heaven and Hell really exist?
- Does being a “good person” and being kind to others mean you will automatically get into Heaven?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on the Arts
- Should schools enforce an art curriculum?
- How can we make art be seen on a level playing field with subjects like math or science? Should they be seen equally?
- Is a picture really worth 1,000 words?
- Is political art an effective form of protest?
- Should graffiti be considered art?
- Importance of making museums free
- Should offensive or inappropriate language be taken out of classic literature?
- How do we measure talent when art is incredibly subjective?
- Is photography an art form?
- Should artists stop charging for their work?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Sports
- Are college sports coaches making too much money?
- Should college athletes receive “special treatment”? (i.e. extra time on assignments, leniency, extra help outside of class, etc)
- Co-ed sports – should we begin trying to make co-ed sports the standard and start to eliminate women’s and men’s leagues?
- The gender pay gap in sports…female athletes getting paid less than male athletes even if the team is performing better on average
- How to help eliminate homophobia in sports
- Should women’s sports teams exclusively be coached by female coaches?
- How should transgender people fit into competition (i.e. should they be forced to play in groups of their assigned gender at birth or the gender they identity with? Separate leagues?)
- Sha’Carri Richardson being suspended from the Olympics because she tested positive for having marijuana in her system
- Male athletes receiving more media coverage than female athletes
- Should sports teams with names or mascots who have a history rooted in racism be forced to change their names or mascots?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Economics
- How free trade agreements benefit or harm workers
- Who is to blame for rising energy prices?
- Should the minimum wage be higher? Fixed between all states? Completely eliminated?
- Should protectionist measures against big corporations be more encouraged?
- Is the World Bank productive?
- All interns should be paid
- Why should imported products come with an extra tax?
- Should the US include sales tax in their price tags?
- Is it the responsibility of the government to provide housing for the homeless?
- Should minimum wage be raised in correlation to gas prices rising?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Entertainment
- Beauty pageants are unethical and cause young girls to develop self-image issues
- Can television be used as an educational tool, or is it inhibiting young people from being able to properly focus?
- The entertainment industry is harmful to self-image and confidence
- Reality shows are toxic and should be banned from television
- Social media is one of the leading sources of fake news
- Social media influencers are a detriment to society
- Cancel culture is negatively impacting us
- Advertisements on social media and in print are some of the leading causes of self-image issues in teens
- The entertainment industry upholds the sexualization of women
- Listening to music can have many positive impacts on your day-to-day life and overall mood
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Academics
- Attending college should be free
- There should be a system in place where students can have free access to a set of college-level courses to decide if college is right for them before investing thousands of dollars
- Would eliminating the possibility of tenure improve or worsen higher education?
- Should same-sex institutions be banned?
- Should all schools be required to include some courses surrounding the importance of mental health?
- Benefits (or downfalls) of year-round schooling at any grade level
- Should all schools in the US change to the metric system?
- Open note tests are more beneficial to students’ learning than closed-book tests
- Should schools get rid of grades to eliminate grade-related stress? What about making the standards for certain grades the same across all universities to ensure certain standards of education?
- Should we completely eliminate standardized testing for all institutions?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Ethics
- Should you be allowed to take back an animal you adopted from a shelter?
- Is it okay for children under 17 to see an R-rated movie if they are accompanied by an adult?
- Should individuals be forced to stand for the national anthem?
- Should insurance companies/employers be forced to cover birth control if it conflicts with personal religious beliefs?
- Zoos and circuses as forms of animal abuse that gains a profit
- The ethics behind IVF or gene-selecting in babies
- Should we work to hold celebrities and influencers accountable if they promote products that are harmful, even if they don’t actually use the product and are just profiting off the endorsement?
- Should violent video games be banned and discontinued for promoting violence?
- The harm childhood actors face as they grow up, and how to prevent it
- Slurs and offensive/racist language should be banned from TV and movies, even if they fit the context of the story
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on the Environment
- Plastic bags are incredibly harmful to our planet, and we should try to stop using them
- Hunting is detrimental to biodiversity
- Climate change is killing our planet
- Climate change is causing a great influx in immigration
- Electric cars are the way of the future
- How household and industrial waste is harming our planet
- Prevention of wildfires
- How and why to enforce reduce, reuse, recycle
- The ethics behind becoming vegetarian or vegan to help the environment
- Should we ban oil drilling in Alaska?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Fashion
- Colors in fashion should not be attributed to any gender
- Fast fashion is unethical
- Sustainable fashion is too expensive to fill your closet with
- The fashion industry is toxic
- The fashion industry negatively affects self-image and beauty standards
- The desire for name-brand items is classist
- Articles of clothing should not be gendered (i.e. dresses should not be just for girls/women)
- Fashion is one of the best ways to express who you are
- The fashion industry can encourage appropriation of cultural clothing
- Uniforms should be required (or banned) at all educational institutions
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Motivation
- How to let go of the past
- The power of positive thinking
- Bullet journaling is the future
- How to turn weaknesses into strengths
- How to manage your expectations
- The difference between winning and succeeding
- The power of hobbies
- Breaking bad habits
- Starting your day with affirmations can better your future
- Should schools get rid of homework requirements?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Travel
- Traveling lowers stress levels
- Traveling encourages a healthier lifestyle because it forces you to be more active
- Studying abroad should be encouraged (maybe even required) at a university level to encourage cultural immersion
- Travel should be required for students studying a foreign language to encourage a better grasp of the language
- Traveling opens up more beneficial networking opportunities than looking only in your surrounding community
- Traveling can become addictive, which can have harmful consequences
- Traveling can make you appreciate your home more
- Vaccination requirements should (or shouldn’t) be enforced around the world after COVID-19
- Eco-tourism is important for sustainable development across the world
- Airplane tickets should be cheaper, and prices should not vary depending on what website you buy them from
Top Persuasive Speech Topics on Technology
- Using drones to deliver packages rather than services like UPS, Amazon, etc.
- Self-driving cars: a good idea or a safety hazard?
- Desktop computers are obsolete
- The internet should be censored
- All published books should also have a PDF available
- Hybrid vehicles safe energy
- Depending on technology makes people lazy and complacent
- Identity chips should be inserted in everyone at birth
- E-books should (or shouldn’t) replace paper books
- All social networking apps should be forced to provide a way to verify every user’s identity to limit instances of catfishing
I hope these persuasive speech topic ideas have taken at least a little stress off of writing your speech!
Just remember as you look through these that you can argue absolutely any side to these topics or answer the questions in any way you like.
There isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer – it’s all about finding the side you believe in and trying to convince everyone else to believe it too!
Want more resources? Watch this video on persuasive speech topics!
THAT’S A WRAP. WAS THE POST USEFUL? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA.
PIN FOR LATER!
Other Posts You Might Like
Most Awesome Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Looking for the best name to call your best friend? We got you. We have compiled a list of the best 250+ nicknames perfect for all personalities.
Nicknames are more than just a fun name to call your friend or loved one. They tell a mini story about that person, the connection you have with them and how much they mean to you. They, in a way, signify your bond to that person.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t give out nicknames easily. They have to be perfectly cultivated to encapsulate every beautiful, or not so beautiful, thing about the person who is given the name.
It can’t be super boring, basic, or plain (unless of course, that person is boring, but you love them for it anyway). A nickname has to be perfect; no if’s, and’s, or but’s about it, the name has to be absolutely perfect.
Now, after hearing my spiel about how important nicknames are, I am sure you are thinking about the fact that your girl best friend doesn’t have one.
I bet the panic is staring to set in now, “Why doesn’t my girl best friend have a nickname???” and “Why is my nickname for my girl best friend so bad?? How can I make it better?” Take a deep breath and worry no more.
Below are the best nicknames for your girl best friend and they aren’t super plain or basic. If you’re looking for names like those, then this isn’t the article for you because plain nicknames are pretty easy to come up with.
But hey, if that’s the perfect fit for your girl best friend by all means, use that nickname.
Continuing on, below I have taken the nickname game to the next level by organizing all the nicknames into categories.
Simply look through the category that suites your relationship and choose from 50 names, or better yet, use my examples to come up with the perfect custom nickname for your girl best friend.
No matter what name you end up choosing or creating, she will love it!
Before you begin, remember, the nickname process can be a long one and it deserves the time. The perfect nickname can be tricky to find, however, you will know when you’ve found the perfect name because it will fit effortlessly.
Also, if it is the perfect nickname, it may stick with your girl best friend for the rest of her life. So, again, make sure it’s the right name for her! Enjoy the nickname process!
- Smart Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
- Funny Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
- Sassy Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
- Dirty Nicknames to Call Your Girl Best Friend
- Sweet Nicknames to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Smart Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Below are some cute smart nicknames to call your girl best friend who always seems to have the answers to everything.
Now, this could be in life, school, or simply random facts; this girl knows it all and more importantly, this girl deserves the perfect nickname.
Consider the options below!
- Big Brains
- Young Sheldon
- Course Hero
- Grade Saver
- The President
- The Secretary
- The Brains
- The Saver
- The Main
- The Teacher
- The Knower
- Shooting Star
- Magic Lady
Funny Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Funny, original nicknames are hard to come by these days. It seems as though every good nickname is attributed to someone you already know; therefore, you can’t use it.
If you find this happening to you, consider the list below. This list contains some funny nicknames you may or may not have heard of before.
If you have, consider them as a steppingstone to help you find or create the perfect funny nickname.
- Ding Dong
- Light Weight
- Special __ (letter of their name, ex. Special K)
- The first letter of their name (ex. B)
- Anything based off of their last name
- Barn Dog
Sassy Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
We all have that one sassy best friend that deserves an equally sassy nickname. If you are struggling to find the perfectly balanced, or not so balanced, sassy nickname look at the list below.
This list has sassy, sassy sweet, feisty, and so many other sassy styles of nicknames for you to choose from.
Browse below and find the best sassy nickname for your girl best friend.
- The Weed
- Pea Brain
- Bean Stalk
- Fuzz Ball
- Your Highness
- Puff Bal
Dirty Nicknames to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Before you choose a nickname from the list below, make sure that your girl best friend is ok with the nickname.
If she gives you the greenlight, then browse below to find the perfect dirty nickname for her. But again, make sure to confirm that she is ok with one of the names below!
- Hot Stuff
- Cold Stuff
- Her last name (ex. Brown) (Keep it as is or change it up, ex. Brownie)
- Bun Bun
- Baby Girl
- My Girl
- Sexy Pants
- Sweet Cheeks
- Sugar Lips
Sweet Nicknames to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Finding a nickname for your sweet girl best friend is usually pretty easy. There are many cute names out there that you could call her.
However, listed below, are some of my all-time favorites. Use this list to pick the perfect nickname.
- Love bug
- Poo Bear
- Snuggle Bug
- Cuddle Bug
- Pookie Bear
- Baby Bear
- Sugar Snap
- Soul Mate
- Boo Boo
- Soul Sister
- Lady Bug
- Fun Size
Final Thoughts on Names to Call Your Girl Best Friend
Friendships are some of the most important relationships we will ever have, therefore, making sure that your bestie has the perfect nickname is very important.
Some friendships are sweet, while others sassy and feisty, but no matter what type of relationship, a nickname should be fitting for both you and your friend (especially because you will be the one calling them said nickname, so you better like it too).
Also, I want to say, using a nickname that is coined “basic” or “overused” doesn’t mean it’s bad. It is a way for you to connect with your friend and it will be meaningful to you and her.
Therefore, even if the nickname is “basic”, it will be more than meets the eye because it bonds the two of you.
If you are struggling or, rather, were struggling to find the perfect nickname, I hope the list above was helpful in finding the perfect nickname or discovering an original one of your own!
No matter what you chose, your girl best friend will love it!
THAT’S A WRAP! DID YOU LIKE THE POST? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!
Other Posts You May Like
How Can Literature Classes in College Help You in Life
Much of the world’s historical cultures and traditions have been preserved in literary pieces that can be studied to learn about the older ways of life.
Most literary pieces contain encounters filled with various human experiences that help broaden one’s understanding of the world they live in. In a nutshell, studying literature courses can help you learn about various cultures and histories through commentaries, stories, and theories.
But, there’s more. Modern literature programs and classes are usually structured in ways that enable students to absorb a lot more.
This means that today’s literature programs can help students develop several transferable skills like essay writing, critical thinking, and more.
Thus, those students who study literature in college can learn several skills that can later be beneficial to employers. In this article, we will take a closer look at how literature classes in college can help you in life ahead.
But before we jump in, students reading this should also know that certain aspects of taking literature classes can be tough. For example, it is never easy to write great essays without a thorough knowledge of the process.
Thus, to perform better, students need all the help they can get.
Today, several digital platforms help students with their academic work. For example, students can use a top platform like Studyfy for their help write my essay or ‘edit my essay’ services.
Using such services enables students to boost their academic performance while also giving them insights into their essay work.
In no particular order, here are 8 ways literature classes in college can help you in life.
1) You Can Improve Your Communication Skills
One of the best ways of learning to communicate better is through reading more. While studying literature, students need to continually read through various types of text like prose or poetry.
They are also provided with various study notes and are also encouraged to create their own.
Literature classes can also be very interactive and engaging. Most literature programs include discussions, debates, seminars, and more.
Overall, students would be able to learn better communication through more reading, listening, evaluating, and writing.
2) You Will Be Motivated to Weave Your Life’s Story
The main essence of any work of literature is that one can always find a story in them. This is because most literary pieces are created to record various events experienced in one’s body, mind, and surroundings.
And these experienced events are usually recorded as stories. Thus, reading more literary works can help mold the idea of ‘story creation’ early on in students.
And attending literature classes in college helps students understand the know-how of how it can be done.
3) It Can Help Improve Your Evaluation Skills
Studying literature properly is not just about plain and simple reading. But it also has a lot to do with being able to discern what one reads. And learning the art of discernment can improve one’s overall evaluation skills.
Being able to discern and evaluate then goes to help students communicate and write a whole lot better.
And this skill – of reading, evaluating, and understanding – is of paramount importance in the professional world.
4) You Can Become More Articulate
Most literary works are written in different styles because they are written by different people. And the more one reads, the more they would understand the complexities behind different writing styles.
But studying literature in college has more benefits than this.
Throughout one’s literature program, they will be put through various tests to gauge and improve their literary abilities. And one of the main abilities one can work upon is being more articulate.
This means that a good literature student would always include all the details when making any type of argument or point.
5) You Can Become a Better Writer
Yes, the ability to write well depends a lot on one’s imagination and frame of mind. But, to become a great or even good writer, one also needs to do a bit of reading.
This is because, without reading previous works, one will not be able to know the required standards for great pieces of text. And without it, one will not be able to write such that it grips their readers.
In the professional world, writers are some of the most well-paid workers. This is because they can convert heaps of information into understandable and engaging texts.
And this can help a business connect with its audience a whole lot more.
6) You Can Improve Your Interactive & Social Skills
Literature courses and programs are some of the most interactive ones around. Why? Because it involves a lot of discussions, debates, storytelling sessions, and more.
In any literature class, one can always find various types of commentaries and speeches from professors and students alike.
Literature students have the unique opportunity of digging deeper into various subject areas. And the best part is that they can do so with all of their peers together.
Learning such interactive and engagement skills from one’s classroom can help them greatly in their future careers.
7) It Can Improve Your English Skills – Better Grammar, Punctuation, & More
English is not only the most spoken but is also considered a standard language across several international communities. Thus, to grow to greater heights, sooner or later, one needs to brush up on their English skills.
Most literature programs and classes around the world are conducted in English. When one takes up a program in English, they have the opportunity of learning the language usage from the masters.
Thus, learning literature early on in life can profoundly improve one’s overall English skills, which can be crucial for career progression.
8) It Can Teach You Critical Thinking & Broaden Your Horizons
To efficiently power through a literature class or program, one needs to be able to contribute adequately. But one’s contribution is often seen as beneficial when they are also able to communicate their knowledge neatly.
A study of literature can achieve this by making students find various patterns and meanings in texts. Literature from various periods of the world also contains much information about historical cultures and traditions.
It can give a lot of insight to students about how people during different times in history were, what they did, how they thought, and more. This broadens one’s horizons and makes one look at the world in an autobiographical way.
The Bottom Line
There is no doubt that studying literature in college has several benefits for one’s life. But that being said, literature programs can be difficult in terms of learning and scoring higher grades easily.
Students should learn beforehand about all the intricacies and semantics of their desired programs. Doing so would help them know which particular literature program would be the most suitable for them.
What To Bring To College – The Ultimate 2022 College Packing List
Are you having trouble knowing what to bring to college? We’ve got you covered! Check out this essential list of what to bring to college.
This post probably contains affiliate links. Our full disclosure is long, but you can find it here.
This post is all about the college packing list!
Going away for college is the beginning of a brand new journey. You are leaving home behind for three or four months to live in a place that you have never been to before.
You now have to go to classes, move into your dorm room and receive a whole new set of responsibilities since you are off on your own. This is a big transition for any college student because you are going from having to abide by your parents’ rules to forming ones of your own.
Your parents will still check in with you and make sure you are okay, but now, in college, you are allowed to become independent and make your own decisions.
Now, it is your turn to have faith in yourself and make the right choices, starting with preparing what to pack away for college. You are going to be away from home for a whole semester, so you have to make sure that you have all of the things you need.
You need accessories to jazz up your dorm room. You need enough personal care products to last the entire semester. You have to make sure that all your school supplies are packed in your backpack and that you are up to date with the latest electronics.
If you are fortunate to have your own kitchen in your dorm, you must have all of the right tools with you so that you can learn to cook your meals on campus. Through this guide to packing what you have to bring to college, you will know exactly what you need and get you on the right track!
In this article
- College Packing List for your Dorm Room
- College Packing List of School Supplies
- College Packing List of Kitchen Supplies
- Essentials for Cleaning and Bathroom
- Packing List of Personal Care Products
- Packing List of Electronics
- Food and Snacks
- Packing List of Fun Stuff
You can charge your phone and earbuds while simultaneously powering your lamp and laptop with this useful powerstrip.
It has 3 outlets, 4 USB cords, and a long, braided extension cord that is sturdy and durable.
With this handy tool, there will be no more overcrowded outlets between you and your roommates!
Keep your dorm room neat and organized with this laundry basket made by DOKEHOM.
When unfolded from its collapsed state, this hamper is 28” tall and 15” wide with aluminum handles for easy transport to the washroom.
Additionally, if you are having friends in your dorm, this laundry basket can be promptly folded up and put into your closet for easy storage.
Do you want a dorm room that always has a relaxing fragrance to it when you return after a long day of classes?
This diffuser has 8 soothing colors, 2 misting modes, and will run as long as it has water in it.
The essential oils are sold separately, but this diffuser will mark your first step into the amazing world of aromatherapy.
In your many college adventures, you always need to be prepared for any possible scenario and with this first aid kit by Johnson & Johnson, you can be one step ahead.
This kit comes with 140 pieces of emergency equipment including Band-Aids, Neosporin, hand wipes, gauzes, Benadryl itch cream, Tylenol tablets, and much, much more.
Spruce up the drab walls of your dorm with these wonderful string light decorations.
With 50 clips and 50 LED lights that stretch over 17 feet long, you can hang up all the pictures you desire.
Begin with old photos from high school, then add new ones that you took while away at college!
6. Personal Fan
Most of the time, when you have a roommate or two crammed into the same small dorm, there isn’t a lot of air circulation in your room.
This fan can change this by keeping the air flowing with its 2-speed manual control.
Due to its small size, this fan should be put on a nightstand or desk.
In college, you are going to need a good planner to help keep all of your classes, assignments, papers, and projects organized.
If you are as forgetful as I am, then this planner will do wonders for you!
It comes with 50 sheets of material and sections pertaining to certain tasks, ideas, notes, to-do lists, goals, and so on.
With this enormous pack of 60 mechanical pencils, you will probably never run out until you graduate.
This set comes with three different sized pencils ranging from thin (0.5 point) to average (0.7 point) to thick (0.9 point).
They are refillable, multicolored, and definitely an upgrade over the classic wooden pencil.
This travel laptop backpack with USB charging port is what every 15- year- old boy needs!
Comes with one separate laptop compartment which accommodates 15.6-inch laptops as well as 15-inch, 14-inch, and 13-inch laptops; one large packing compartment with plenty of space for daily needs and tech electronic accessories; and the front section comes with multiple compartments, pen pockets, and a key fob hook to keep his items organized and easily accessible.
And finally with a built in USB charger outside and built-in charging cable inside, this USB backpack offers him a more convenient way to charge his phone while walking.
10. Pen/Pencil Case
After you buy all your pens and pencils, you are going to need a cute case to store them in!
This case, made by EASTHILL, can hold up to 90 pencils or 50 pencils and has mini compartments to store all of your other trinkets.
The design is also very aesthetically pleasing and the product comes in 9 beautiful colors.
11. Office Clips Set
12. 3-Hole Punch
These might be the most gorgeous notebooks that I have ever seen.
This pack of 4 books comes with 160 pages each of A5 paper and durable double-ring binding.
However, what makes this set stand out is how aesthetically pleasing the style is!
They come in 4 lovely colors: wine red, brown, green, and ivory.
If you are the kind of person who loves to highlight their notes, these highlighters are the best tool for you.
They come in 6 pastel colors and have a clean chisel point so that you can highlight words with ease.
They are also very small, so they will fit perfectly into your pencil case.
Forget about buying regular sticky notes, this organizer might have the most impressive collection of notes that I have ever seen.
It comes with 2 sets of rectangular note pads as well as 6 sticky note index arrows.
Everything is held in a sleek leather box that comes with an added ruler!
16. 4-Pocket Binder
This is the binder that everyone should have.
It can hold up to 300 pages and has 4 expanding pockets, so you should be able to hold all of your notes, assignments, and exams.
This product is durable, so it will last you a long time, and a good size, so it will fit in your backpack nicely.
How can you bring your amazing food creations to life without the proper tools?
This set has got you covered with 33 different utensils, perfect for any type of meal you are looking to prepare.
This includes a spatula, tongs, a measuring cup, tongs, a soup ladle, and much more.
Have a lovely cooking night with your friends and roommates!
18. 2-Slice Toaster
If there isn’t a toaster in your dorm room, it may be time to get one of your own.
This toaster looks like it is straight from the 1950s.
It is a great product for a college student who loves bread and bagels as much as they love a good retro aesthetic.
It would be the perfect addition to your dorm kitchen!
Once you are done cooking, baking, and preparing your meal, you are going to have to complete the next step: straightening up your kitchen.
This set of 5 brushes by Holikme is ideal for every part of your cooking space, from scrubbing your pots and dishes to polishing your pans and countertops.
Cutting up fresh fruit and vegetables in your dorm room is impossible with a good cutting board.
This set of three cutting boards in three varying sizes is exactly what you would be looking for.
These boards are made from rubber material which makes it difficult to slice through them and they are reversible as well, so you don’t have to cut meat and produce on the same side.
Certain recipes require an exact amount of an ingredient in order for the dish to come out just the way you want it to.
If you are cooking from scratch on a weekend, this kitchen scale is the way to go!
It gives accurate measurements in ounces and pounds, so your meals will always be flawless.
This mini conversion chart is an absolute lifesaver.
With this magnet, you can convert liquid volumes and dry measurements with ease.
Unless you are the type of person who knows how many tablespoons go into a cup off the top of your head, this is the most useful accessory to stick on your mini-fridge or cabinet whenever you are cooking something new.
This durable mesh caddy made by Attmu can organize your shower in seconds.
With 8 outer compartments, you can hold your combs, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, razors, and other bathroom accouterments.
Your bathroom space will be neat and free from clutter with this necessary accessory!
This mop is small but incredibly mighty and also very easy to use!
It functions with a push pedal to wring out the mop and the mop head can simply be disinfected in the washing machine.
It is perfect for cleaning up any little messes in your dorm room before your friends come over.
Between you, your roommates, and any visitors that you may have, your dorm room is going to have a lot of trash.
These Glad trash bags are cheaper when you buy them in bulk, with this set of 90 bags costing less than 20 dollars - a bargain in my opinion.
They are also lemon-scented, great for eliminating any foul odors wafting from your trash can.
26. Linen Towel Set
This towel set is exactly what you need for the bathroom in your college dorm. These towels come in a set of 6, with 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 washcloths included. They are made with 100% cotton and are sold in a variety of colors, so be sure to choose your favorite!
If you track dirt into your dorm room, it can be quite frustrating to clean up your mess without the proper tools to do so. This broom and dustpan set is easy to use and can be easily stored in a closet or corner. There is also a comb on the inside of the dustpan so the bristles of the broom will always be clean the next time you use it!
28. Face Masks
This product is wonderful for those winter months on campus when your skin is really dry and cracked. The set includes hand lotion, body lotion, and a stick of lip balm, all made from natural ingredients like beeswax, honey, aloe vera, and sunflower seed. Everything is paraben-free, cruelty-free, and gluten-free with no added dyes or pigments!
30. Facial Tools
This is the perfect tool to use on a relaxing spa day after a week of assignments and exams. Made of pure Brazilian quartz, this jade roller and gua sha set alleviates inflammation, reduces puffiness, and relaxes your skin. You can even put these tools in the fridge for an extra bit of cool soothing power!
31. Beard Kit
For anyone looking to grow or maintain a luscious beard in college, then this kit may be just what you are looking for. This set comes with beard shampoo and beard balm, to help keep your beard full and healthy, as well as a beard comb and trimming scissors, for easy maintenance.
32. Under Eye Masks
After a long night of studying, these under eye masks will do wonders. They are good for reducing puffiness and inflammation and it tightens the skin under the eyes for a rejuvenated look. These masks also come in the color of 24k gold, so you can look simply stylish while you are waiting for the magic to happen.
Everyone needs a good moisturizer to hydrate their skin when they wake up in the morning. This cleanser by Albolene is not only a great moisturizer but it is good for removing makeup as well. It is made from only 5 simple ingredients with no soap or water required!
Packing List of Personal Care Products
34. Scalp Massager
If you are looking for the perfect shower accessory that will relax your head after a stressful day in class, this scalp massager would be great for you! This product massages the scalp to reduce itchiness and promote blood circulation while preventing dandruff. It also comes in 9 cute colors!
With these healing patches, you don’t have to stress out about your skin anymore! This product comes with 96 total patches in two different sizes, 10 mm and 12mm. They are also vegan and cruelty-free. They can be worn all day and night, even throughout all your daily classes, to help get rid of any pesky skin blemishes.
If you don’t clean your pores often, you can get annoying pimples and blemishes. This device is the perfect pore cleanser that you need! The vacuum can be used in 2 intensity levels, so it works for those with sensitive skin and those with tough skin. It would be a very good addition to your skincare routine!
37. Foot File
When you spend all day walking around on campus, you can develop blisters and hardened skin on your feet that may be difficult to alleviate. This foot file will help remove any calluses or unnecessary skin on your foot so that they can become smooth and soft once again.
When you forget to charge your phone and it is on 1 percent battery with no charger in sight, it is one of the worst feelings in the world. This pack of 2 portable power banks eliminates the problem immediately. These banks are compatible with Google, Samsung, Apple, and Motorola models and include 2 USB ports, so you can charge two devices at once!
39. Sleep Headphones
These headphones are perfect for when you have trouble falling asleep and need soothing music to help wind your body down. This device could also be used while you are at the gym since they last for 10 hours of playtime in one charge and have a breathable headband.
If you are looking for a good device to play music in your dorm while you are studying, cleaning, or dancing, invest in the latest smart speaker from Amazon. You can listen to your favorite playlists from streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, and SiriusXM, while also being connected to Alexa, Amazon’s virtual assistant.
This wireless charging station is most useful for a college student who has all of the latest Apple products. With this device, you can charge your iPhone, Airpods, and Apple Watch all at the same time. It is compatible with recent Samsung models as well and is foldable and wireless for easy transport.
Most dorm rooms don’t have a stove or even a microwave, let alone a cooking appliance as messy as a deep fryer. However, this perfectly sized air fryer will do just the trick. It can cook up to 2 quarts of food without frying it in unhealthy oils and this reduces the fat content by 70 to 80 percent.
Don’t let any leftovers from last night go to waste! This set of 16 containers in 5 different sizes is just what you need to store any kind of food, from fruits and vegetables to the pizza you had for lunch that you want to save until tomorrow. It also comes with chalkboard labels and markers so you can always mark down when the contents will be expiring.
Every dorm needs a basic tableware set. This collection comes with 12 pieces of dinnerware, including 4 10-inch plates, 4 bowls, and 4 20-ounce cups. They are made of plastic so you don’t have to worry about losing an item or throwing something out by accident.
Become the king or queen of brunch with this adorable waffle maker! You will find yourself making 4-inch waffles every day if you have this cute machine. If you are feeling experimentative, you could also put hashbrowns or cookie dough in the maker and see what happens!
47. Fitbit Versa 2
This step tracker is perfect for a student who is looking to get more active while they are away at college. The Versa 2 has so many features: it can play music, track your sleep schedule and your heart rate, can connect to Alexa, and last for at least 6 days without a charge. An essential product for those trying to be more fit!
48. Mini Projector
This mini projector is a must-have when you are having movie nights with your friends in your dorm room. It is compatible with laptops, smartphones, and TV boxes, so you can project any show or movie through these devices. This product is definitely more useful than just crowding around your computer!
49. Hand Warmers
These warmers are essential for those chilly winter months ahead, especially if you are a student going to college upstate. It can also be used as a power bank to charge your phone, 3 temperature levels ranging from “it’s a little cold outside, I need to keep my hands toasty” to “I just stuck my hands in the snow and I need to regain feeling in them once again.”
This clock looks like the strangest game of Scrabble ever played, but its unique design is a big draw for me! Not only does it look cool, but is still very useful, tracking the time through five-minute intervals. I think it would look perfect on someone’s nightstand in their dorm room.
Final Thoughts on College Packing List
Getting ready to leave for college is an incredibly difficult task because you are essentially leaving behind the life you had always known, at least for a few months, to a brand new environment.
You will become mostly surrounded by people you have never met before and you have to rely on your own decision-making to solve problems that may arise in the upcoming semester.
It may seem very overwhelming and it is easy to become stressed out during this period, especially with the preparations before you leave for college.
You want to make you have everything you need before you are off on your own, which includes your personal care products, electronics, kitchen supplies, and dorm accessories.
Hopefully, this list has helped guide you in choosing the right items to bring!
THAT’S A WRAP! DID YOU LIKE THE POST? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!