Dr. Cheryl Robinson is an international speaker, the founder of Ready 2 Roar, a leadership coach, and a regular contributor to ForbesWomen, where she writes about businesswomen who have successfully pivoted through their careers.
She is a clear example of a woman who does not give up when facing any inconvenience because, as she says
“When you get knocked down, you get yourself back up, dust off, and keep going.”
After imagining herself in various job positions when she was younger and trying out a few, she realized her interest in sports was even greater.
So, she went back to the East and worked in sports for 15 years, from the collegiate to the professional level.
That’s when she decided to open her own business. Moreover, Dr. Robinson decided to get a doctorate degree, making her a Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership, to give her validity and credibility for the books she writes and the workshops she hosts.
After going through all of these different paths and accomplishing various goals, she set out to become a commercial print model.
“I set out to become a model, which is something I’ve always wanted to be, and that’s what I’m currently working on.”
So, now, at the age of 40, she signed with a modeling agency.
Dr. Cheryl has been writing for local newspapers and journals since the age of 14-15 and continued writing in college and even after graduating.
“Still, to this day, my goal is to be a New York Times best-selling author, and to do that, you have to write.”
After starting her own company, she committed to herself that 80% of her time would be spent on her writing and the other 20% on her business.
“Three months after I made that commitment to myself, I was attending an event, and I saw a woman speaking on a panel, saying she was a contributor at Forbes. I sat there thinking, ‘if she can do it, I can do it,’ so after the panel, I went right up to her and asked her how she got there.
Then, I spoke to her about my background and who I am. And what I didn’t know was that the former editor was in the room with her.
I introduced myself to the editor, who told me to send her my portfolio; three days later, she invited me for a mini-interview process, then a week later,
she called me and said ‘welcome aboard.’ ”
Based on Dr. Robinson’s experience, the best ways of changing and adapting to a new career are the relationships you make, so that it becomes easier for you to make any move in the future.
“It’s all about the quality of the relationships you foster. Ask people in the company out for a coffee. Get to know your colleagues and what they’re working on; develop that relationship, so when you are ready to make a move, you have allies to help you in your pivot.”
There are many ways to pivot in a career, but there are also mistakes that should be avoided in doing so, and according to Dr. Cheryl, “not doing enough research is one of them.”
There are a lot of industries or companies that sound sexy to work for, but the reality may be the opposite or the learning curve might be more intense than you had thought.
Being ill-prepared can hinder your development and progress.
Take the time to research what you want to get into and meet the people who’ve done it before you. Learn from their mistakes before jumping with two feet in; know what you’re getting yourself into. Dr. Robinson believes that there are some ways to know when it’s time to pivot in a career.
“If you’re not growing or being challenged in your current role, or there is an idea that you just can’t stop thinking about, take the risk and step out of your comfort zone.”
Dr. Robinson always dreamt of becoming a commercial print model, and after interviewing over 500 individuals for her column, she realized
“it does not matter how old you are. you can always pivot.”
As we grow up, society tells us that we have to reach certain milestones by a certain age. However, it’s just not realistic sometimes.
So, you have to permit yourself to be okay with not hitting certain milestones as quickly as you imagined.
Dr. Robinson has always wanted to see her face on a billboard somewhere, and as she got older, she gained more self-confidence so, at the age of 40, she said “it is now or never.”
Through networking, she met a model agent with whom she talked, did her photos, and her potential got noticed to the point where she got signed with that modeling agency; and has now booked her first gig.
With all of what Dr. Robinson has already accomplished, she still has her head on plans for the near future. Her new leadership book is coming out at the end of this year.
In the new book, she wants readers to understand that pivoting or transitioning in a career doesn’t have to be scary.
“People might get fired, get laid off, move, and then be obligated to find something else, which can seem scary, but if they see it as a positive experience, it is not. Instead, it is an opportunity to develop a strategy to get to where they want to be.”