Every once in a while, you may get into a sad mood. Maybe you had a rough day at work or school. Maybe you got into a fight with someone. You may have watched or read something sad.
Or maybe you’re just having one of those days, we all have those from time to time.
When you are in a sad mood, you may be looking for a sad quote that will fit what you are feeling and possibly help improve your mood.
It may not switch your mood around, but it could help justify your feelings.
Well, I have just the collection of quotes that are perfect for those times. This is a collection of the best sad quotes that will heal your soul. Check it out!
In this post:
- Sad Quotes About Life
- Sad Quotes About Love
- Sad Quotes About Pain
- Sad Quotes About Happiness
- Sad Quotes About Loneliness
- Sad Quotes From Songs
- Sad Quotes From Movies
- Sad Quotes From Books
Sad Quotes About Life
1. “Trying to avoid sadness is trying to avoid life.”- Maxime Legacé
This quote makes the point that you cannot avoid sadness. Having moments of sadness is a part of life and everyone will experience it from time to time.
2. “The good life is not one immune to sadness but one in which suffering contributes to our development.”- Alain de Botton
This sad quote once again talks about how life is not immune to sadness. However, it mentions how experiencing suffering helps a person develop and grow stronger.
3. “Your sadness is a gift. Don’t reject it. Don’t rush it. Live it fully and use it as fuel to change and grow.” – Maxime Legacé
This quote wants you to embrace your sadness. Welcome it with open arms and let it guide you as you grow.
4. “My entire life can be described in one sentence: it didn’t go as planned, and that’s okay.” – Hugh Raye
Sometimes, things happen that you did not plan on happening or things do not happen how you would have liked them to. That is okay.
5. “You’re going to make it. It’ll be hard but you’re going to make it.” – Unknown
Life is not always easy. Things will get tough, you will be challenged. However, it will all work out in the end. You just have to push through.
6.“Trust is like an eraser, it gets smaller and smaller after every mistake.” – Unknown
When someone you trust betrays you, it hurts. Everytime someone breaks that trust, it becomes harder to trust others.
7. “I don’t like depending on people because people leave all the time. Because at the end of the day all you have is yourself and that has to be enough.” – Unknown
When you depend on others, you assume the risk that they will leave or not follow through. Sometimes it is easier to just rely on yourself.
8. “Keep smiling… and one day life will get tired of upsetting you.”- Unknown
Life can be tough sometimes. However, if you just keep smiling and thinking positively, good things will come eventually.
9. “You can’t go back and change the beginning but you can start where you are and change the ending.” – C.S. Lewis
At times you may want to go back and change the past, however you can not do that. However, your decisions now can change what the future holds.
10. “Nobody knows about the little meltdowns I have when I’m alone. They only know about the smiles and laughs I show them.” – Unknown
Sometimes who you are is different from how you act around others. You may be sad, angry, frustrated. However, you put on a smile when you have to.
11. “You’ll never know how strong you are, until being brave is the only choice you have.” – Bob Marley
Life can throw you curveballs when you least expect it. It will test you and force you to be strong.
12. “People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.” – Unknown
There will be times when life feels too much. The darkness seems to follow you and nothing good seems to be on the horizon.
13. “It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.” – George Eliot
Life will never just hand you what you need or want. If you want something, you have to work for it, no matter how difficult that may seem.
14. “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is” – Margaret Mitchell
Life owes us nothing. It does not have to give us what we want, no matter how hard you wish. Life can be unexpected or go the opposite of how you intended.
15. “Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.” – Steven Tyler
Everyone has their own idea of what is sad, or hard, frustrating or is too much. Sometimes when you reach that point, that forces us to think or react or realize what that threshold is.
16. “Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.” -Taraji P. Henson
Everyone experiences sadness. Everyone has something going on in their lives. If you don’t think they do, they are just good at hiding it.
17. “Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.” – Henry David Thoreau
Do not regret the mistakes you make or let the hard times swallow you up. Let them help you grow. Embrace the sorrow and tough times. They will make you stronger.
18. “Those who do not weep, do not see” – Victor Hugo
Everyone cries and experiences sadness and tough times. If they don’t, they are missing a key human experience to help know and see more.
19. “Be strong now because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can’t rain forever” – Unknown
Even in the challenging times, you need to be strong. It may be difficult. However, the good times will come.
20. “Most of the trouble in life comes from misunderstanding, I think.” – Lucy Maud Montgomery
The troubling times come from misunderstandings between people or from your own thoughts or ideas. It is important to recognize these misunderstandings.
Sad Quotes About Love
21. “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself by putting it back together.” – Unknown
Relationships can end badly. They may end up messy or end all of sudden. Sometimes it is better to leave them broken than to try and fix the relationship.
22. “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.”- Miguel de Unamuno
It is sad to not be in a relationship or to be in love with someone. However, it is far worse to not open up your heart to others.
23. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.”- Ella Harper
People will break your heart. It will be hard, terrible and painful. However, you may still have lingering feelings of love even after they shatter their heart.
24. “When you think you are first falling in love, just then you realize you are falling out of love.” – David Grayson
Sometimes you may realize you are falling for someone too late. At the moment you realize you are falling in love, that is when you realize those feelings are disappearing.
25. “Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially, it lights up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurts you. Finally, it goes off and everything is darker than ever and all you are left with is the… Burn” – Syed Arshad
Love seems like a pleasant and magical thing at first. Everything goes great, but then eventually it turns into something that burns and harms you.
26. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.” Anaïs Nin
When love ends, it is never pleasant and neat. It ends messy, painfully and causes harm to everyone in its way.
27. “He taught me how to love, but not how to stop.” – Unknown
You can learn how to love, however no one ever teaches you how to stop loving that special someone.
28. “I wonder if I could take back every ‘I love you’ ever said to you, would I do it?”- Faraaz Kazi
There is always that person who breaks your heart the worst. Someone you give your all too. You are left wondering if you could go back and time and never enter the relationship, would you?
29. “You can’t buy love, but you can pay heavily for it.” – Henry Youngman
Love can be expensive in many forms. Not only financially, it is also emotionally, physically and mentally taxing.
30. “Nothing is worse than when someone who is supposed to love you just leaves.” – Ava Dellaira
When the person you love and care for the most, someone you thought felt the same, leaves, it is like a stab in the back.
31. “You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens.” Kirsten Dunst
No matter how hard you try, you can not control who your heart falls for. Your heart is going to fall for whoever it wants to, no matter how hard you try.
32. “Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.” – Charlie Brown
Having your love go unreciprocated can ruin everything the simple pleasures in life. Especially your favorite things.
33. “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
When love ends, you grieve that love. Grief is a painful and long experience. However, it’s what we have to go through in order to love.
34. “Nothing hurts more than realizing they meant everything to you, but you meant nothing to them.” – Maya Angelou
Sometimes you give everything to someone because they are the most important thing in your life. However, you may not be the most important person in their life.
35. “True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.” François de la Rochefoucauld
Everyone talks about how great love is and how everyone has the one person that is meant for them. However, few people have found that person who is the one.
36. “To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.” – Mary Oliver
In order to survive in the world, you have to be able to love and love fiercely. However, when the hand is off, you have to be able to let go of the person you love.
37. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Queen Elizabeth II
Grief is one of the worst feelings in the world. However it goes hand and hand with love.
38. “Love can be magic. But magic can sometimes… just be an illusion.” – Javan
Love can be magical. It seems unreal and like something you have never experienced before. However, it can disappear at the drop of a hat and seem like it was all an act.
39. “We just hide from the people we love. Sad, isn’t it?” – C.C. Hunter
After you experience heartbreak, you may never want to experience it again. You will hide from anyone you may love to avoid the pain.
40. “Love is temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, then subsides.” – Louis de Bernieres
Love can come in strong and suddenly. It can shake your world and then throw it into shambles. Then, it can just go away like it never happened.
Sad Quotes About Pain
41. “You will never know the power of yourself until someone hurts you badly.” – Unknown
You are stronger than you realize. It just may take someone hurting you to reach that realization.
42. “There is one pain I often feel, which you will never know. It is caused by the absence of you.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
When you lose someone, that is a pain that is strong and unbearable. Something only people who have experienced that loss can understand.
43. “Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others.”- Stephen R. Covey
Relationships are an up-and-down cycle. At times, they bring you unlimited joy and at other times they bring you unbearable pain.
44. “Don’t get lost in your pain, know that one day your pain will become your cure.” – Rumi
Do not let the pain consume you and overwhelm you. One day, it will become what makes you stronger and help heal you.
45. “So sick of pretending that everything is alright because it is not” – Unknown
You may feel like you have to put on a brave face and act for others, even when you are experiencing pain.
46. “Memories have to be our most painful blessing.”- Kanye West
Memories can be a great thing. However, when they are full of painful memories, they can be a horrible thing.
47. “What brings us tears, will lead us to grace. Our pain is never wasted.” – Bob Groff
You may cry and it may seem like the world is ending. However, that pain will ultimately serve a purpose. It will help shape you into a strong and powerful person.
48. “All man’s miseries stem from his inability to sit in a room and do nothing.” – Blaise Pascal
We can not sit still and we can not just sit and relax. That restlessness is what may lead you to pain.
49. “One thing you can’t hide — is when you’re crippled inside”- John Lennon
When you are full of pain on the inside, it can become hard to keep to yourself.
50. “The pain never really goes away; you just elevate and get used to it by growing stronger.” – Ritu Ghatourey
Pain sticks with you forever, building on top of one another. However, with this inside you, you grow stronger and continue to push you forward.
51. “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”- Bob Marley
Music is a great thing. It can be a way for you to cope with pain. You listen to it, the world and its pain disappears.
52. “We all create fictions to hide our pain.” – The Lazarus
When we experience painful times we want to escape. One way we do this is by creating fictional worlds inside our head to escape to when the pain becomes too much.
53. “If you can sit with your pain, listen to your pain, and respect your pain — in time you will move through your pain.”- Bryant McGrill
If you can understand your pain and how it works, you can overcome it.
54. “I hate pain, despite my ability to tolerate it beyond all known parameters, which is not necessarily a good thing.” – Hunter S. Thompson
You may be able to handle pain and work through it, but that does not mean we want to experience it.
55. “When you’ve suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling.”- Yann Martel
Life can be full of pain, it may seem like it is never-ending. Each pain we experience becomes tougher and tougher.
56. “Joy always comes after pain.” – Guillaume Apollinaire
Pain is temporary, happiness will come soon. You just have to be patient and wait for the sun after the storm.
57. “People go through so much pain trying to avoid pain.” – Neil Strauss
People will go to great lengths to avoid certain pains in life. They will go through other struggles to avoid the other hardships.
58. “Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.” – Khalil Gibran
When you experience pain, it breaks open the shell and part of you that allows you to come to a new level of understanding of the world.
59. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell
If you go after something that brings you happiness after experiencing a difficult time, the happy parts will ease the pain.
60. “Sometimes pain was like a storm that came out of nowhere. The clearest summer could end in downpour. Could end in lightning and thunder.” – Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Pain can come when you are least expecting it. It can come with no warning and come in strong.
Related: 60+ Inspiring College Mental Health Stories of Recovery: College Life Stories To Give You Hope
Sad Quotes About Happiness
61. Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not everyday is going to be a good day, and that is just the way it is!” – Dita Von Teese
Sometimes, you have bad days. They will challenge you. But in order to appreciate the good days, you have to experience the bad days.
62. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
You cannot have happiness without sadness. So, if you try to avoid sadness, you are also avoiding happiness.
63. “The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.” – Carl Jung
If there was no sadness, we would not know what true happiness feels like.
64. “Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes, simultaneously. The bigger the tree, the bigger will be its roots. In fact, it is always in proportion. That’s its balance.” – Osho
Sadness and happiness work hand in hand. They balance each other out. You need one to have the other. It is part of life.
65. “We never taste happiness in perfection, our most fortunate successes are mixed with sadness.” – Pierre Corneille
Nothing in life is ever fully perfect. Most things have, at least, a bit of sadness. Even if it is just the smallest bit.
66. “Sad people dislike the happy, and the happy the sad; the quick thinking the sedate, and the careless, the busy and industrious.”- Horace
People who are experiencing sadness dislike anyone who is experiencing something better than they are. They want them to feel the same pain.
67. “Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.” Victor Hugo
Even sadness has a level of happiness, even if it is just something that is more neutral or sad than happy.
68. “I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness.” – Nana Mouskouri
If you have not learned what it is like to be sad and experience pain, then you cannot know happiness.
69. “Happiness and sadness are just two eternal truths like day and night. A man of superior intellect is never affected by these emotions. They are not base emotions at all but a reflection of our thoughts, a reaction to our perspective on things we see, hear and do. Equanimity is not only desirable in a warrior, but a must. Without it, you are as good as dead in the battlefield.”- Anand Neelakantan
There are some things that are just a natural part of life. Two of those things are happiness and sadness. Sometimes, it is better to not let them affect you.
70. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” – Friedrich Koenig
Happiness does not always come from getting what we want. It can come from accepting what we have in our life and appreciating it.
71. “There is no such thing as too much happiness and sadness. What I’m after is contentment.”- Ray Charles
Sometimes in life, you should not be focused on having a lot of happiness and sadness. We should focus on being content with our lives.
72. “Sometimes it takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence, and absence to value presence.” – Unknown
In life, we can get used to having certain elements. Sometimes it takes losing those things to appreciate what we previously took advantage of.
73. “When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
We are constantly coming across new opportunities. While we may want these new opportunities, we may look back at what we once had.
74. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
Do not look back at the past, be happy you got to experience some good times.
75. “The hardest thing is to hurt yourself for the sake of others’ happiness.” – Unknown
You should not punish yourself in order to please others. You should put yourself and your happiness first.
76. “Don’t desire happiness because it creates only unhappiness and nothing else.” – Osho
Sometimes craving happiness can be a dangerous thing. It can only create pain and the opposite of what you desire.
77. “Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations.” – Red Skelton
Laughter can be the best medicine. It can help bring you out of painful and sad situations.
78. “We’re taught to be ashamed of confusion, anger, fear and sadness, and to me they’re of equal value to happiness, excitement and inspiration.”- Alanis Morissette
The negative emotions hold just as much value and meaning as the happy and positive emotions.
79. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.”- Dante Aligheri
When you are experiencing sadness, it is important to recall the times when you are happy in life.
80. “You can never maintain just pure happiness. In my life, I want full emotion. I want equal parts happiness and sadness.” – Derek Cianfrance
You cannot experience life in just pure, uninterrupted happiness. You have to go through difficult times as well.
Sad Quotes About Loneliness
81. “The loneliest point of someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
It can be hard to watch your life fall apart and you are not able to do anything to stop it from happening.
82. “The worst part of holding memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” – Lori Lowry, The Giver
After a notable experience, it can be lonely to just sit there with the memories and not be able to share it.
83. “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” – Arthur C. Clarke
Sometimes being alone and being with others can be equally scary and difficult.
84. “All great and precious things are lonely.”- John Steinbeck, East of Eden
Everyone in life experiences loneliness. No matter how sweet, happy or special they are.
85. “Loneliness is such an omnipotent and painful threat to many persons that they have little conception of the positive values of solitude and even, at times, are frightened at the prospect of being alone.”- Rollo May
People can be scared of being alone, they try to avoid it at all costs. They do not take the time to realize how being alone can be beneficial.
86. “Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man.” – Thomas Wolfe
Loneliness is inevitable. Everyone will experience it at some point, and it’s important to do so.
87. “We are all born alone and die alone. The loneliness is definitely part of the journey of life.” – Jenova Chen
Loneliness is part of the cycle of life. It is something we cannot avoid, every human experiences loneliness no matter what.
88. “Sometimes it is better to be alone. No one can hurt you that way.” – Tinku Razoria.
If you want to avoid pain, being alone is one way that we can do that. If no one is with you, no one can hurt you.
89. “It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
Sometimes being alone is the best option. It is better than being with bad company.
90. “If you are lonely when you’re alone, you are in bad company.” – Jean-Paul Sartre
If you feel lonely alone, then you are not comfortable being alone with yourself with your own thoughts and feelings.
91. “Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself; know what you want.” – Janet Fitch
You should know yourself the best. You are with yourself 24/7. You should be able to know what you need to not feel lonely.
92. “You come into the world alone and you go out of the world alone yet it seems to me you are more alone while living than even going and coming.” – Emily Carr
Life is full of moments of loneliness. At times, it seems you are the most alone while you are living and doing everyday activities, even when you are surrounded by others.
93. “Loneliness is my least favorite thing about life. The thing that I’m most worried about is just being alone without anybody to care for or someone who will care for me.” – Anne Hathaway
We all want someone to care for and someone to care for us. That is why we are afraid of being alone and not having someone else.
94.“Sometimes you need to be alone. Not to be lonely, but to enjoy your free time being yourself.”-Unknown
You may not want to be alone, it can be scary. However, you need time alone to find and truly understand yourself.
95.“A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
You can only be yourself when you are alone. If you do not have solitude, you can not have that freedom of being yourself.
96. “Loneliness is not lack of company, loneliness is lack of purpose.” – Guillermo Maldonado
Being alone does not always mean not having another person. It can mean not having a purpose or goal in life.
97. “It’s easy to stand in the crowd, but it takes courage to stand alone.”- Mahatma Gandhi
Standing with many other people is the easy part of life. However, the more difficult part is standing alone and standing up for what you want or what you believe in.
98. Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man.” – Thomas Wolfe
Loneliness is the center of all of us. It is something we need to experience and maybe even something that we crave.
99. “We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness.” –Albert Schweitzer
We may seem like we are all being successful together and working together. But we are all dying of loneliness.
100. “Until you get comfortable with being alone, you’ll never know if you’re choosing someone out of love or loneliness.” – Mandy Hale
You need to get comfortable being alone or else you will constantly seek out another person to share life with. You will never know if you really care for them or running from loneliness.
Sad Quotes From Songs
101. “I’m a goner, somebody catch my breath.” – Twenty One Pilots, Goner
You might feel like you are drowning and have no hope. You need someone to help you and to pull you out from the feeling of being gone.
102. “And I find it kinda funny and I find it kinda sad, the dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had.”- Tears for Fears, Mad World
The dreams that we experience where we are suffering or dying are the ones that we find the best. We enjoy the dreams others would find terrifying.
103. “Words, how little they mean when you’re a little too late.” – Taylor Swift, Sad Beautiful Tragic
Someone can come and apologize or try to save the relationship. However, it may come when it’s too late.
104. “My only friend was the man in the moon and even sometimes he would go away too.”- Ruth B, Lost Boy
You have no friends, other than the ones you find in the sky. However, even those leave, just like everyone else.
105. “Sometimes before it gets better the darkness gets bigger, the person you would take the bullet for is behind the trigger.” Fall Out Boy, Miss Missing You
This lyric talks about how you care and would do anything for someone else. However, that person can turn around and hurt you the most out of anyone else.
106. “My love for you was bulletproof, but you’re the one who shot me” – Pierce the Veil, Bulletproof Love
You are experiencing a love so strong, that no one and nothing could possibly break the bond you two have. That is, until your partner breaks the relationship with no warning.
107. “I can’t drown my demons, they know how to swim.” – Bring Me The Horizon, Can You Feel My Heart
You cannot end the pain or hard times you are experiencing. It seems that no matter what you do, it just comes back, bigger and stronger.
108. “Take Me Away, dry my eyes, bring color to my skies.”- Troye Sivan, Happy Little Pill
Sometimes, life and the pain can become too much. You just want something to change your feelings and what you are experiencing, even if it is just temporary.
109. “And all the people say, you can’t wake up, this is not a dream, you’re part of a machine, you are not a human being.” – Halsey, Gasoline
Life can feel like you have no control. It can feel like you are a robot that someone else is controlling. You are not your own person at all.
110. “So if you love me, say you love me, but if you don’t just let me go.” George Michael, I Can’t Make You Love Me
This quote relates to a point in life when the relationship is at a point of no return. Either you two love each other and want it to work or someone has to end it.
111. “Catch me as I fall, say you’re here and it’s all over now” – Evanescence, Whisper
This one relates to a point when you are struggling and need someone to be there for you and to help pull you out from the hard times, to tell you it is over and getting better.
112. “And without you is how I disappear.” My Chemical Romance, This is How I Disappear
When a person leaves you, you lose a part of yourself. Without them, you feel like you are going to disappear and not return or be the same person.
113. “I’m way too good at goodbyes.” – Sam Smith, Too Good at Goodbyes
Sometimes, we all get to the point where we just do not want to commit to anything or anyone. We get used to just saying goodbye before things get too serious.
114. “I’ve got a hundred million reasons to walk away, but baby I just need one good one to stay.”- Lady Gaga, Million Reasons
This one talks about when you are at the end of a relationship and that you have a long list of reasons to end it. However, you do not want it to end and want the other person to give one reason you should stay.
115. “Maybe if I don’t cry, I won’t feel anymore.” Demi Lovato, Stone Cold
We have all gotten to the point where we are tired of feeling emotions. They have become overwhelming and you will do anything to stop from feeling this way. That may mean not acknowledging the feelings.
116. “Little do you know I’m still haunted by the memories.” – Alex and Sierra, Little Do You Know
This refers to after a relationship ends, and you are not completely over the other person. You are flooded by the memories of the times that you two shared. They haunt you day after day.
117. “Saying goodbye this time, the same old story, seeing you cry, makes me feel like saying sorry.”- Hawthorne Heights, Saying Sorry
You are leaving a person for what feels like the millionth time. You know you need to leave, however, they are making you feel guilty for leaving. They are trying to pull you back in.
118. “Cause these words are knives and often leave scars.” – Panic! At The Disco, This Is Gospel
Words can be painful. They can be the most painful weapon that someone can use against you. They leave scars in the form of the memories of them speaking those words to you.
119. “I’m falling down and you’re not here to break the fall.” – Thursday, How Long is the Night?
This refers to a time when you are experiencing a hard time and you feel like you are alone. The person who used to be there for you is not there to help you get better.
120. “When you love someone but it goes to waste, what could be worse?” Coldplay, Fix You
You are trying your hardest to help someone get better. You put everything you have into this person but they do not want to get better.
Sad Quotes From Movies
121. “I know what it’s like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can’t. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside.”- Susanna, Girl Interrupted
When you go through a traumatic time, you will do anything to try and end the pain you are experiencing on the inside. Even if that means hurting yourself on the outside.
122. “Don’t think of me too often. I don’t want you getting sad. Just live well. Just live. I’ll be walking beside you every step of the way.” – Will, Me Before You
When you lose someone you love, it can be hard to not be sad. However, they will always be with you and would want you to live your life.
123. “I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12” – The Writer, Stand By Me
As you get older, your friend group will change. You no longer have the same ride-or-die posse, adventure-seeking friends like you did as a child.
124. “How come you ain’t never liked me?” – Cory, Fences
Why can’t everyone just like everyone? Why can’t we like everyone no matter who they are?
125. “Bad things happen and you can’t do anything about it.” – Timon, The Lion King
We cannot stop any bad thing from happening in the world. Bad things will happen no matter what we do to try and stop it.
126. “But if you want to leave, you can. I’ll remember you though. I remember everyone that leaves” – Lilo, Lilo & Stitch
People can leave your life. However, that does not mean that you will forget about them. You will remember them forever, especially because they left you.
127. “Never say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting.” – Peter Pan, Peter Pan
For many people, saying goodbye feels final. It means that you will not see them again. That means that you will forget about one another, which can be painful.
128. “She’s gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen.” – Lloyd Dobler, Say Anything
You can give your all to someone, and get nothing in return. They will just pick up and leave you almost nothing. Not even a goodbye.
129. “I don’t know if I love you anymore. And I don’t know what I’m going to do without that.” – Cal, Ordinary People
Sometimes, you may fall out of love with someone. It can be shocking and something you are not sure how to process.
130. “People change. Feelings change. It doesn’t mean that the love once shared wasn’t true or real. It simply means that sometimes when people grow, they grow apart.” – 500 Days of Summer
Just because you start to fall out of love with someone, doesn’t necessarily mean the love you had wasn’t real. It just means that you were once in love and now you have grown and are no longer in love.
131. “I just want you to be happy. Even if that happiness no longer includes me.” – Young Ira, The Longest Ride
You want an important person in your life to be happy. Of course you would want them to be happy with you. However, that may not be the case all the time.
132. “You gave me forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.” Hazel Grace Lancaster, The Fault in Our Stars
This is a famous quote. Even though you may have a short period of time with someone, it can seem like forever, no matter how long it actually lasted.
133. “Because waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought, useless and disappointing.” – Sam, A Cinderella Story
Sometimes, waiting for someone to express their feelings or want to be with you can be exhausting and not worth the time. You should know your worth and not waste your time on someone who would not do the same.
134. “How did this world get so broken?”- Raya, Raya and the Last Dragon
The world can be a scary, hurtful and broken place. It can be frustrating and confusing at how the world ended up this way. It is even more confusing to imagine how it can be fixed.
135. “Please don’t go away. Please? No one’s ever stuck with me for long before.” – Dory, Finding Nemo
When you are used to people leaving, it can be hard and disheartening. However, when you finally find someone that will stay, you want to hold onto them for as long as you can.
When all of a sudden people start to help you, it can be confusing, but also nice. However, you may soon realize it is because you are going through a hard and sad time, which can be emotional.
137. “Most love stories are about people who fall in love with each other. But what about the rest of us? What about our stories, those of us who fall in love alone?”- Iris, The Holiday
We tend to hear stories about people who fall in love. However, that is not the case for everyone. People who are heartbroken and experience unrequited love need their stories told too.
138. “I’m poor, Black, I might even be ugly, but dear god, I’m here. I’m here.” – Celie, The Color Purple
Everyone deserves to be loved and appreciated. No one should be pushed aside.
139. “I just thought there would be more.” – Olivia Evans, Boyhood
Sometimes the end comes up unexpectedly. You thought more would happen or you would have a longer amount of time with someone. But that is not always the case.
140. “That’s what everybody’s been saying: You’ll feel better and don’t worry and this is all fine and it’s not.” Adam, 50/50
People try to tell you that everything is okay and they know how you feel. But no one knows how you feel and what you are going through. Sometimes things will not get better, and that is how it is.
Sad Quotes From Books
141. “I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.”- John Green, Looking for Alaska
When people leave you unexpectedly, it can be painful and confusing and frustrating. You never get to say goodbye or know what their last moments were like.
142. “The heart dies a slow death, shedding each hope like leaves until one day there are none. No hopes. Nothing remains.”- Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha
When the heart breaks, it is painful. When it breaks over and over again, it is painful. You lose hope and dreams until you have none left.
143. “My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn’t go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That’s just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don’t get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”- Jandy Nelson, The Sky Is Everywhere
When someone you love and care for passes away, you never stop loving and grieving them. They will always be a part of you as you go through life. They are right there by your side.
144. “There are a lot of children in Afghanistan, but little childhood.”- Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner
Sometimes children are forced to grow up fast. They have to help take care of the family. They have work, and help out instead of being children.
145. “I guess that’s what saying good-bye is always like — like jumping off an edge. The worst part is making the choice to do it. Once you’re in the air, there’s nothing you can do but let go.” – Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
Saying goodbye is never easy. But the hardest part is making the decision to say goodbye. Then once you make the choice to say goodbye, you have to just go for it.
146. “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.” – David Levithan, Love is the Higher Power
When you are overwhelmed with sadness, it can make even the simplest of tasks like breathing hard.
147. “So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I’m still trying to figure out how that could be.” – Stephan Chobsky, Perks of Being Wallflower
When you come to the realization that you have to be both happy and sad it can be relieving and confusing. You just have to figure out how to navigate the new realization.
148. “When someone you love dies, and you’re not expecting it, you don’t lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time — the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers.”- John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany
When you lose an important person, it takes a while to lose everything. It happens in stages. Things will remind you of them and you have to come to the realization they are gone again and again.
149. “The term ‘forgive and forget’ doesn’t make sense to me. Forgiving does allow us to stop dwelling on an issue, which isn’t always healthy. But if we forget, we don’t learn from our mistakes.” Meg Cabot, Abandon
Forgive and forget is a popular phrase that can be confusing. Sometimes it can prevent us from learning from the past. Sometimes it is not healthy to forget something that happened.
150. “Depression is like a heaviness that you can’t ever escape. It crushes down on you, making even the smallest things like tying your shoes or chewing on toast seem like a twenty-mile hike uphill. Depression is a part of you; it’s in your bones and your blood.” – Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
Depression is a mental illness that is difficult to escape. It’s not a switch you can turn on and off. It can sneak up on you at any moment and will be with you until the end.
151.“Someday, we’ll run into each other again, I know it. Maybe I’ll be older and smarter and just plain better. If that happens, that’s when I’ll deserve you. But now, at this moment, you can’t hook your boat to mine, because I’m liable to sink us both.” – Gabrielle Zevin, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
Sometimes you are meant to be with someone. But maybe just not at that moment. You have to grow and mature and have life experiences. You just have to accept it and wait for the right time.
152. “I should be happy, but instead I feel nothing. I feel a lot of nothing these days. I’ve cried a few times, but mostly I’m empty, as if whatever makes me feel and hurt and laugh and love has been surgically removed, leaving me hollowed out like a shell.” – Jennifer Niven, All The Bright Places
We all go through tough times. We go through periods when nothing can make you happy. You are stuck in a period of sadness and it seems never ending.
153. “If you didn’t remember something happening, was it because it never had happened? Or because you wished it hadn’t?” – Jodi Picoult, Plain Truth
Every once in a while we go through something that we wish never happened. We may block it out and say it never happened. However, that may not be the healthiest idea.
154. “So many times it seemed like there were chances to stop things before they started. Or even stop them in midstream. But it was even worse when you knew in that very moment that there was still time to save yourself, and yet you couldn’t even budge.” – Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby
When you look back at events, you realize there were plenty of opportunities to stop something from happening. However, when you are in the moment you do not choose to stop it. You just let it happen.
155. “God knows we’re all drawn toward what’s beautiful and broken; I have been, but some people cannot be fixed. Or if they can be, it’s only by love and sacrifice so great it destroys the giver.” – Cassandra Clare, City of Lost Souls
It is human nature to be drawn towards something that we know is bad for us. Yet, we still choose to go after what we know is broken. It is hard to stop.
156. “Maybe I’d always been broken and dark inside.” Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury
When you have time to think back on your past decisions and what you have done, you may realize that you have pieces of darkness and sadness inside of you.
157. “For Beatrice, when we first met, I was lonely, and you were pretty. Now I am pretty lonely.”- Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Slippery Slope
When you lose someone, you think about the past and how you got to where you are now. You may be in a similar place, just slightly different.
158. “Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in Rye
If you start getting close to people, you start sharing everything with everyone, then when everyone leaves, you miss everyone and everything they know. It is a special bond.
159. “I wish everyday could be Halloween. We could all wear masks all the time. Then we could walk around and get to know each other before we got to see what we looked like under the masks.” – R.J. Palacio, Wonder
It is normal to feel self-conscious. However, people can be mean and you can be worried about what others think of you. So, you feel like you need to hide your true colors.
160. “She had tricked him. She had made him leave his old self behind and come into her world, and then before he was really at home in it but too late to go back, she had left him stranded there–like an astronaut wandering about on the moon. Alone.” – Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia
People may force you to change and go to new places. To leave who you are behind. Then at the last minute after it is too late to go back to the old way, they leave. You are left alone to figure out the life you were forced into.
So, there you go. Hopefully at least one of these quotes encapsulates the feelings you are experiencing. Maybe even one of these quotes will help turn your mood around.
Either way, it is okay to be sad and embrace your emotions. Just know that in the end, everything will be okay.
THAT’S A WRAP! THIS POST WAS ALL ABOUT SAD QUOTES! DID YOU LIKE IT? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!