Enduring hardships is a part of life, especially during the tumultuous years of college. There are so many factors that you must consider as a student to keep your life balanced, and sometimes things can go awry.
Assignments begin to pile up; it may feel like you have no time to yourself, to see your friends, or spend time with your family.
You could be feeling the effects of loss, not having enough time to recuperate from rough breakups, growing distant from close friends, or grieving lost loved ones.
What you need is reassurance that this is just a rough patch, that this painful period is just a small drop in the ocean of your life.
After acknowledging the pain you are experiencing, the next step to recover and alleviate the hurt is to mend your inner spirit so that you may become a wiser and more resilient individual.
Then, the next time you get hurt, you’ll bounce back stronger than ever. Here are one hundred pain quotes that will heal and strengthen your soul as you begin your healing journey.
Check out these 1oo pain quotes that will heal your soul!
In this post:
- Pain Quotes About Life
- Pain Quotes About Love
- Pain Quotes About Hardship
- Pain Quotes About Death
- Pain Quotes About Friendship
Pain Quotes About Life
- “It’s good that you can still feel pain, my dear. Because to feel pain is to be alive.” – anastasiasyah
- “Life ain’t always beautiful, but it’s a beautiful ride. – Gary Allan, “Life Ain’t Always Beautiful.”
- “We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain.” – Alan Watts
- “You can’t go through life trying not to get hurt.” – K.J. Apa, Riverdale
- “Nothing is permanent in this life, including your pain. One day, it shall pass too.” – anastasiasyah
- “If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible.” – Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
- “Can you take the pain and go somewhere? Can you make it a journey?” – Lidia Yuknavitch, The Chronology of Water: A Memoir
- “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” – Bob Marley
- “Every one of us is losing something precious to us. Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That’s part of what it means to be alive.” – Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
- “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
- “Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.” – C.S Lewis
- “No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.” – Dalai Lama XIV
- “When your day is night alone, hold on. Hold on if you feel like letting go, hold on if you think you’ve had too much of this life, well, hang on.” – R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts”
- “Life is pain―we’ve got to scrape the joy from it every chance we get.” – Andy Samberg, Hot Rod
- “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
- “After the rain, the sun will reappear. There is life. After the pain, the joy will still be here.” – Walt Disney Company
- “There are two kinds of pain in this world. The pain that hurts, the pain that alters.” – Denzel Washington, The Equalizer 2
- “Stop punishing yourself for being someone with a heart. You cannot protect yourself from suffering. To live is to grieve. You are not protecting yourself by shutting yourself off from the world. You are limiting yourself.”- Leigh Bardugo, King of Scars
- “I discovered that joy is not the negation of pain, but rather acknowledging the presence of pain and feeling happiness in spite of it.” – Lupita Nyong’o
- “Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.” – C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
Pain Quotes About Love
- “Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart” – Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment
- “It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Maybe this pain can turn into poetries someday.” – anastasiasyah, “Sleepless Thoughts” from Internal Feelings
- “You are not alone in your sorrow, and there’s no shame in grieving for those you love.” -Brian Geraghty, The Alienist
- “There is nothing about you that I cannot understand, that my heart cannot accept. I know now that I will love you to the end, against all pain.” – Albert Camus, Correspondence
- “Sometimes we hurt the ones we love, but hurting ourselves to avoid it doesn’t make it better.” – Shannon A. Thompson, Death Before Daylight
- “Time doesn’t heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.” – Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
- “People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they’re afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they’re wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain” – Jim Morrison
- “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” – Faraaz Kazi
- “We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.” – Cassandra Clare, City of Heavenly Fire
- “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” – Ernest Hemingway, Men Without Women
- “Life is full of grief, to exactly the degree we allow ourselves to love other people.” – Orson Scott Card, Shadow of the Giant
- “She was a unique constellation of attributes; she was my Halley’s comet. But the universe is designed to break your heart.” – John Cusack, Must Love Dogs
- “Among my stillness was a pounding heart.” ― Shannon A. Thompson, Seconds Before Sunrise
- “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love.” – Sophocles
- “‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “Pain is a sudden hurt that can’t be escaped. But then I have also learned that because of pain, I can feel the beauty, tenderness, and freedom of healing.” – C. Joybell C.
- “Life brings you to your knees. It brings you lower than you think you can go. But if you stand back up and move forward, if you go just a little farther, you will always find love.” – Laia Costa, Life Itself
- “Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.” – Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
- “With love comes loss, son. It’s part of the deal. Sometimes it hurts, but, in the end, it’s all worth it. There’s no greater gift than love.” – Gerard Butler, How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Pain Quotes About Hardship
- “I was noted for my endurance of pain. For my ability to hold my hand over the flame longer than anyone else, without grimacing, without crying.” – Christa Wolf, Cassandra: A Novel and Four Essays
- “I want to drown the sky in the sea, to infuse ugliness with beauty, to wring a laugh from pain.” – Albert Camus, Caligula
- “God uses chronic pain and weakness, along with other afflictions, as his chisel for sculpting our lives. Felt weakness deepens dependence on Christ for strength each day. The weaker we feel, the harder we lean. And the harder we lean, the stronger we grow spiritually, even while our bodies waste away.” – J. I. Packer
- “Reminding myself that life is not personal, permanent, or perfect has kept me from falling into sinkholes of despair and destroying rooms with rage. It invites me to pause and turn inward.” – Ruth King, “Wholeness Is No Trifling Matter”
- “I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.” – Maya Angelou
- “Pain is something to master, not to wallow in.” – Anaïs Nin
- “And even in our sleep, pain, which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.” – Aeschylus, Agamemnon
- “People live through such pain once. Pain comes again―but it finds a tougher surface.” – Willa Cather
- “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts
- “Take pride in your pain; you are stronger than those who have none.” – Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue
- “Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim―letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.” – C.R. Strahan
- “No matter how bad things get, the true test is how we choose to respond to the pain we suffer, or inflict.” – D.B. Woodside, Lucifer
- “Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?” – John Keats, Letters of John Keats
- “There you go, finding a hidden advantage in an unfortunate circumstance; using pain to take you to the next level. Those are the things that turn players into kings.” – Harold Perrineau, Sons of Anarchy
- “But who can remember pain, once it’s over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind.” – Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale
- “Fire tests gold, suffering tests brave men.” – Seneca
- “In every change, in every falling leaf there is some pain, some beauty. And that’s the way new leaves grow.” – Amit Ray
- “We are all sorry when loss comes for us. The test of our character comes not in how many tears we shed but in how we act after those tears have dried.” – Michelle Moran, Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution
- “As far as you can avoid it, do not give grief to anyone. Never inflict your rage on another. If you hope for eternal rest, feel the pain yourself; but don’t hurt others.” – Omar Khayyám, Quatrains
- “Listen to the pain. It’s both history teacher and fortune teller. Pain teaches us who we are.” – Leslie Uggams, Deadpool 2
Pain Quotes About Death
- “Look, I know losing someone you love—it’s terrible. You shut yourself off. Believe me, I know. But when you shut out pain…You shut out everything else, too.” – Taylor Cole, Supernatural
- “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
- “We bereaved are not alone. We belong to the largest company in all the world—the company of those who have known suffering.” – Helen Keller
- “Give the sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it break.” – William Shakespeare, Macbeth
- “No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it” – Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes
- “Losing me will hurt; it will be the kind of pain that won’t feel real at first, and when it does, it will take her breath away.” – Gayle Forman, If I Stay
- “Of all the ways to lose a person, death is the kindest.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Tears are a river that takes you somewhere…tears lift your boat off the rocks, off dry ground, carrying it downriver to someplace better.” – Clarissa Pinkola Esté
- “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” – John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent
- “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
- “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
- “Grief may be a thing we all have in common but it looks different on everyone. It isn’t just death we have to grieve. It’s life, it’s loss, it’s change. And when we wonder why it has to suck so much sometimes, it has to hurt so bad. The thing we gotta try to remember is that it can turn on a dime.” – Ellen Pompeo, Grey’s Anatomy
- “For it would be better to die once and for all than to suffer pain for all one’s life.”- Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound
- “Life has to end. Love doesn’t.” – Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven
- “Good-byes hurt the most when the other person’s already gone.” – Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give
- “Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place.” – Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever
- “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
- “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
- “You can never replace anyone because everyone is made up of such beautiful specific details.” – Julie Delpy, Before Sunset
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
Pain Quotes About Friendship
- “It’s so hard to forget pain, but it’s even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness.” – Chuck Palahniuk, Diary
- “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Nothing in this world compares to the comfort and security of having someone just hold your hand.” – Richelle E. Goodrich, Smile Anyway
- “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.” – Aristophanes
- “The thing is, pain slides on paper very easily, it’s a way of letting it out. And when people look at your art and relate to the pain, they feel less alone, and that’s a bonus, both for you and them.” – A.Y
- “True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it is lost.” – Charles Caleb Colton
- “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
- “The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” – Lois Lowry, The Giver
- “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.” Richard Bach
- “When you care about people, hurt is kind of part of the package.” – Emily Kinney, The Walking Dead
- “You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “For there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one’s own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes.” – Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- “The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain, one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend.” – Heather Brewer
- “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “Sometimes you have to give up on people. Not because you don’t care, because they don’t.” – Neetu Khatri Kajal, Immortal Love
- “When you part from your friend, you grieve not; for that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.” – Khalil Gibran, The Prophet
- “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” – José N. Harris, Mi Vida
- “In your life you will meet shooting stars. You will see them, make your wish and see them disappear.” – Nahiar Ozar
- “Since I was young, I have always known this: Life damages us, every one. We can’t escape that damage. But now, I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other.” – Veronica Roth
- “The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship.” – Sir Francis Bacon
As you continue on your healing journey and recover from the pain you have experienced, whether it be a burnout, a breakup, or a separation, remember these pain quotes so that you may recover even stronger the next time.
Life is full of painful moments, but they represent only a small part of the greater whole. What makes you strong and resilient is not how much pain you have experienced but how you adapt to the pain.
The secret to overcoming pain is to march forward and be ready to face a new day, no matter what happens. Just because you have been hurt by a friend or partner doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to meet new people.
Even if you have faced many hardships, it doesn’t mean that life is going to be this hard forever. Persevere through the pain, and you will be rewarded as a stronger, more resilient individual; these pain quotes that will heal and strengthen your soul will help you to do so.
Want more quotes related to pain? Watch the video below!
THAT’S A WRAP! DID YOU LIKE THE POST? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!