The biggest sacrifice that students have to make when they attend college is the stability of their sleep schedule. Hours of sleep are disregarded in favor of doing schoolwork or studying for tomorrow’s exam. Taking early morning classes on four hours of sleep does not work as well as it did in high school.
Many students go into college with bad sleeping habits that only worsen over time. The only way to improve your sleep is to actively choose to do so. Relaxing activities such as mindful meditation and playing white noise can help to put you in a calmer state of mind and promote a night of deeper, healthier sleep.
Additionally, reading can also prepare your mind for a good rest. Here are one hundred good night quotes that will foster relaxation, inner calm, and peaceful sleep.
In this post:
- Good Night Quotes To Help You Appreciate the Beauty of the Night
- Good Night Quotes For a Deeper Sleep
- Good Night Quotes For Sweeter Dreams
- Good Night Quotes For That Certain Someone
- Good Night Quotes That Reflect on a Better Tomorrow
- 7 Nighttime Routine Tips to Relax and Get Good Sleep
Good Night Quotes To Help You Appreciate the Beauty of the Night
1. “Night is purer than day; it is better for thinking, loving, and dreaming. At night everything is more intense, more true. The echo of words that have been spoken during the day takes on a new and deeper meaning.” – Elie Wiesel, Dawn
2. “The night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.” – Vincent van Gogh
3. “The moon stays bright when it doesn’t avoid the night.” – Rumi
4. “The cool peace and dewy sweetness of the night filled me with a mood of hope: not hope on any definite point, but a general sense of encouragement and heart-ease.” – Charlotte Brontё, Villette
5. “I love the silent hour of night, for blissful dreams may then arise, Revealing to my charmed sight – what may not bless my waking eyes.” – Anne Brontë, The Brontë Sisters: Selected Poems
6. “Mother Night, fold your dark arms about me. Protect me in your black embrace.” – Tim Curry, Legend
7. “Thank the water for cleansing you. Stare into the candle’s flame. Think about how nature affects you – how the moon controls the tides, how the weather affects your mood, how the day goes from bright to dark to allow you to sleep.” – Lisa Marie Basile, Light Magic for Dark Times
8. “We live for the night’s decor. It reveals what we dream of.” – Twenty One Pilots, Glowing Eyes
9. “I have noticed that when all the lights are on, people tend to talk about what they are doing – their outer lives. Sitting round in candlelight or firelight, people start to talk about how they are feeling – their inner lives. They speak subjectively, they argue less, there are longer pauses.” – Jeanette Winterson, Why I adore the night
10. “The winds that awakened the stars are blowing through my blood.” William Butler Yeats, Maid Quiet
11. “Night, the mother of fear and mystery, was coming upon me.” H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds
12. “Night is a world lit by itself.” – Antonio Porchia
13. “As the stars in the night sky glittering round the moon’s brilliance blaze in all their glory when the air falls to a sudden, windless calm…all the lookout peaks stand out and the jutting cliffs and the steep ravines and down from the high heavens bursts the boundless, bright air and all the stars shine clear and the shepherd’s hearts exults.” – Homer, The Iliad
14. “Unlearn empire’s blackness: night spun savage, space cast empty when really a balm slicks the split between stars. Really hip thick spirits moonwalk across the lake ice.” – Kemi Alabi, The Lonely Sleep Through Winter
15. “This is the ending. Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away.” – J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
16. “Lifting my eyes from the book, from the tightly sequenced lines to the full and perfect night: oh how, like the stars, my buried feelings break free.” – Rainer Maria Rilke, “lifting my eyes” from A Year with Rilke
17. “I am he that walks with the tender and growing night, I call to the earth and sea half-held by the night.” – Walt Whitman, “Song of Myself, 21” from Leaves of Grass: The Deathbed Edition
18. “So tenderly the night wraps you in its arms and leaves stars in your hourglass when you dream with an open heart as you gaze upon its countenance.” – e.v.e.
19. “To sing, to scream, to dance barefoot in the woods in the dead of night…” – Donna Tartt, The Secret History
20. “When we look out into space, we are looking into our own origins because we are truly children of the stars.” – Brian Cox
21. “The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light; and all of the space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight.” – Isaac Asimov, The Stars, Like Dust
22. “Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore” – Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven
23. “I’ve always liked moonless nights best. It’s easier to say things in the dark. It’s easier to be yourself.” – Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man’s Fear
24. “Some nights, the sky is everything it wants, and not just a wall for our fathers to nail prayers against. Let the starlight harden to keys in your hands. Let the stars light your lovely.” – C.T. Salazar, “Poem Ending with Abraham’s Suffering + An Ode” from This Might Have Meant Fire: Poems
25. “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” – Sarah Williams
Good Night Quotes For a Deeper Sleep
26. “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” – Homer, The Odyssey
27. “The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep.” – E. Joseph Cossman, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
28. “Early to bed, early to rise; makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin
29. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, ‘Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.’” – Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
30. “Discover the great ideas that lie inside you by discovering the power of sleep.” – Arianna Huffington
31. “Sleep is an under-ocean dipped into each night.” – Jim Morrison, The Lords and the New Creatures
32. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer.” – Maya Angelou, Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer
33. “If sleep were a language, it would not sound like nothing, but would instead materialize both longing and distance, history and myth.” – Jennifer S. Chang, “Dear Mao” from House A
34. “Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
35. “O bed! O bed! Delicious bed! That heaven upon earth to the weary head.” – Thomas Hood, The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood
36. “I wish for you a good night, a good sleep, and when you awake with energy and passion you will abound.” – Kate Summers
37. “When one is so tired at the end of a day, one must sleep, and at the next dawn, there are more strawberry runners to set, and so one goes on living, near the earth.” – Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
38. “Put my head under my pillow, and let the quiet put things where they are supposed to be.” – Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
39. “This is a strange repose, to be asleep with eyes wide open; standing, speaking, moving, and yet so fast asleep.” – William Shakespeare, The Tempest
Good Night Quotes For Sweeter Dreams
40. “The night is longer than a day for those who dream, and the day is longer than night for those who make their dreams come true.” – Jack Kerouac
41. “Don’t downgrade your dream just to fit your reality. Upgrade your conviction to match your destiny.” – Stuart Scott
42. “No one knows that you dream of me in my own dreams.” – Meg Day, “Aubade for an Accomplice” from Last Psalm at Sea Level
43. “Good night. May you fall asleep in the arms of a dream, so beautiful, you’ll cry when you awake.” – Michael Faudet
44. “Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” – Edgar Allen Poe, Eleonora
45. “And there are the nights when a long caress breaks through the film of sleep yielding something unspeakably true.” – Ann Lauterbach, Many Times, But Then
46. “All beauty is a dream, even if it exists, for beauty is always more than it is. The beauty I see in you isn’t here, next to me. What I see in you lives where I dream, far away from here. If you exist, I only know it because I just dreamed it.” Fernando Pessoa, “All beauty is a dream, even if it exists” from A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems
47. “A dream is a wish your heart makes when you’re fast asleep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep.” – Ilene Woods, Cinderella
48. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
49. “It would’ve been better to have slept and dreamed than to watch the night pass and the slow moon sink.” – Bel Powley, The Diary of a Teenage Girl
50. “Night has brought to those who sleep, only dreams they can not keep.” – Enya, “Paint the Sky With Stars”
51. “We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.” – William Shakespeare, The Tempest
52. “For a dreamer, night’s the only time of day.” – Forgive Durden, For A Dreamer, Night’s The Only Time Of Day
53. “I desired always to stretch the night and fill it fuller and fuller with dreams.” – Virginia Woolf, The Waves
54. “I am the dream you are dreaming. When you want to awaken, I am that wanting.” – Rainer Maria Rilke, “Ich bin, du Ängstlicher. Hörst du mich nicht” from Rilke’s Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
55. “I’m chasing my dreams straight to the top into a sky that has no limits.” – Robert M. Hensel
56. “I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas: they’ve gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.” – Emily Brontё, Wuthering Heights
57. “To all, to each, a fair good-night, and pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.” – Sir Walter Scott
Good Night Quotes For That Certain Someone
58. “Every night, under the same sky and stars, probably since the emergence of humankind, people around the world have been wishing one another a good night.” – Efrat Shoham, 15 Ways to Say Good Night
59. Someday, you will be in love again. The sun, a wound on your windowsill. Light falls on your dreams. It sounds like someone knocking.” – Sanna Wani, “Memory is Sleeping” from The Puritan
60. “If I had words to make a day for you, I’d sing you a morning golden and true, I would make this day last for all time, then fill the night deep in moonshine.” – James Cromwell, Babe
61. “Darlings, look at the moon feeling blue as the nightfall makes her giggle by asking her for a dance and the whole earth is in lullaby by the sweetness of her laugh.” – Juansen Dizon, Moon Childs
62. “I’m waiting for you, I’m waiting for the evening calm, I’m waiting for our time, the oblique light, this pause between day and night. Peace will come surely. But I can imagine no other peace than that of our two bodies bound together, of our gaze given over to each other – I have no other homeland but you.” – Albert Camus, Correspondence
63. “The nights wouldn’t be as lonely and we’d be dancing under the blushing moonlight with you as my greatest lovely.” – Juansen Dizon, “Pisces & Aries”
64. “Slowly walking on the beach sand at night. Hearing the waves clash on the sand. The lights from the city glowing in the distance. While you’re walking next to me, my arm inclined in yours.” – k.b., beach nights with you
65. “Sleep heavily and know that I am here with you now. The past is gone, and cannot harm you anymore. And while the future is fast coming for you, it always flinches first and settles in as the gentle present. This now, this us? We can cope with that. We can do this together. You and I, drowsily, but comfortably.” Joseph Fink and Jeffery Cranor, Welcome to Night Vale
66. “I close my eyes, then I drift away, into the magic night I softly say. A silent prayer, like dreamers do, then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you.”- Roy Orbison, In Dreams
67. “I love him so much that I sleep embracing him with each of my dreams, with the sweetness of his name in each breath, with the stars of his eyes filling my sky.” – e.v.e.
68. “When I asked her once what she would have wanted to be, she made this answer to me: a nightingale. Now she is a nightingale. Every night, night after night, I hear her in the garden of my sleepless dream.” – Rose Auslander, “My Nightingale” from Blind Summer
69. “Watching the night sky with you. That’s all I dream about.” – k.b., nothing more and nothing less
70. “I dreamt of you, and when I awoke I was sure your spirit had just fluttered from the room. I have yanked you from your sleep before – into the dream I was dreaming. Twisted you like a spiral of hair around a finger. Love, you arrived with your heart full of birds.” – Sandra Cisneros, “Eyes of Zapata” from Daughters of the Fifth Sun: A Collection of Latina Fiction and Poetry
71. “If there’s a moon tonight, my love, I would gladly see her reflected in your eyes; for the way you see things in awe and wonder makes me want to live with you in breath then in paradise.” – Juansen Dizon, Luna & you
72. “The day is over, it’s time for rest. Sleep well my dear you gave it your best. Tomorrow comes, oh so soon, close your eyes and awake before noon.” – Catherine Pulsifer
73. “On the other edge of the night, love is possible.” – Alejandra Pizarnik, Oblivion
74. “The night is cold and delicate and full of angels.” – John Ashbury, “Rivers and Mountains” from The Ecclesiast
75. “Here, it was only her spirit and the stars, in a silent magnificent conversation.” – Tessa Gratton, The Queens of Innis Lear
76. “Some flowers bloom at night.” – Nicole Kidman, Wind Rider
77. “O, thou art fairer than the evening air clad in the beauty of a thousand stars.” – Christopher Marlowe, The Tragic History of Dr. Faustus
Good Night Quotes That Reflect on a Better Tomorrow
78. “As the night gets dark, let your worries fade. Sleep peacefully knowing you’ve done all you can do for today.” – Roald Dahl
79. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” – Lyndon B. Johnson 79) “Night is the wonderful opportunity to take rest, to forgive, to smile, to get ready for all the battles that you have to fight tomorrow.” – Allen Ginsberg
80. “Day is over, night has come. Today is gone, what’s done is done. Embrace your dreams, through the night. Tomorrow comes with a whole new light.” – George Orwell
81. “Night is always darker before the dawn and life is the same, the hard times will pass, everything will get better and the sun will shine brighter than ever.” – Ernest Hemingway
82. “Watch another falling star and send a wish down with it. The path ahead seems very far but all this while you’ve made it. Months have passed that you did not believe would ever come. Look not at what you could not do but all that you have done. So much more still waits for you, just watch the evening sky, and wish upon that falling star and know that it did shine.” – Ellis Nightingale
83. “I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.” – Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
84. “The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.” – Aaron Eckhart, Batman: The Dark Knight
85. “Fear can keep us up all night long but faith makes one fine pillow.” – Philip Gulley
86. “Rest when you’re weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.” – Ralph Marston
87. “When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you till it seems as if you couldn’t hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that’s just the place and time that the tide’ll turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe, Oldtown Folks
88. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” – Mary Anne Radmacher
89. “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” – Norman Vincent Peale
90. “The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
91. “Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better.” – Harry Dean Stanton
92. “Every moment is a fresh beginning.” – T.S. Eliot
93. “Disappointment always arrives before hope and the darkness of night comes before the dawn. Don’t lose hope now because things will be brighter with the new day.” – Henry Rollins
94.“You can’t change everything in one night, but one night can change everything.” – John Updike
95.“Let the water settle; you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your being.” – Rumi
96. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves?” – William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
97. “Never apologize for burning too brightly or collapsing into yourself every night. That is how galaxies are made.” – Tyler Kent White
98. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
99. “About tomorrow, who knows anything. Except that it will be time, again, for the deepening and quieting of the spirit.” – Mary Oliver, “Swimming, One Day in August” from Red Bird: Poems
100. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” – Audrey Hepburn
7 Nighttime Routine Tips to Relax and Get Good Sleep
At the end of a stressful day, what better to relieve your physical and mental anxieties than daily meditation. It has been scientifically proven that meditation and mindful breathing can help alleviate the troubles of insomnia and improve the overall quality of sleep.
Just twenty minutes of meditation before you go to sleep is crucial as it promotes relaxation during the time where you need it most. Here is a guided sleeping meditation to help you get started:
2. Drink Tea
Certain herbal teas like lavender, valerian root, and chamomile are known sleep inducers. These teas have been universally seen as a natural sleep aid and have been used for centuries for relaxation.
Though, it is best to avoid drinking any liquids one to two hours before bedtime to prevent Nocturia or frequent nighttime urination.
3. Play White Noise
To those unfamiliar with what white noise is, it is every audible frequency at the same amplitude. Examples of white noise include the sounds of television static, raindrops, and gusts of wind.
Many find white noise to be more comforting while they sleep than the sound of “black noise,” or complete silence, because it reduces noise pollution. Some people buy white noise machines, but a fan, or this YouTube video, serves the same purpose.
4. Take a Melatonin Supplement
Melatonin supplements have been shown to be greatly helpful for insomniacs. The recommended dosage is one to three milligrams (gummy or tablet) before bedtime, when the body’s naturally-produced melatonin is at its highest.
However, it does not work for everyone, so it is recommended that you speak to your healthcare provider before taking these supplements.
5. Avoid Eating Late at Night
Though it is sometimes tempting to grab a midnight snack, this could lead to restless sleep. To avoid disturbing the body’s natural release of melatonin and HGH, it is recommended that people don’t eat two hours before they go to sleep.
Additionally, eating too late at night can also lead to unhealthy habits and weight gain.
6. Don’t Exercise Right Before Bedtime
After a long period of exercise, the body naturally processes stimulants like adrenaline and epinephrine. Both of these neurotransmitters will keep your body up at night and lead to a restless sleep.
Avoid doing any heavy exercising one hour before bedtime. You could also opt for an alternative leisurely workout such as yoga or walking.
7. Avoid Taking Long Naps During the Day
While a small twenty to thirty minute nap can help rejuvenate your day, napping for too long can make it difficult to sleep at night. Avoid napping after two in the afternoon and limit yourself to only short naps to maintain a consistent sleep cycle.
In college, every hour of sleep cannot be taken for granted. Schoolwork, part-time jobs, commitments with family and friends, and other responsibilities can contribute to a crowded schedule. Oftentimes, you feel like you have no time to sleep.
On certain occasions when you tell yourself that you’re going to go to bed early, you find it hard to settle down and relax.
Your routine is inconsistent and you are unsure how to fix it. Luckily, it can be very easy to change your sleep cycle to get the amount of rest you need. Hopefully, these good night quotes and nighttime routine tips can be the first step in achieving a more relaxing sleep.
Check out this video on how to keep a calm evening routine!
THAT’S A WRAP! THIS ARTICLE WAS ALL ABOUT GOOD NIGHT QUOTES & NIGHTTIME ROUTINE TIPS.
WAS THIS POST USEFUL? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA.
PIN FOR LATER!
Other Posts You May Like
73 Motivational Quotes for Students To Study Hard-The Ultimate 2022 Guide
Need a little extra inspiration to do well in school? Check out these motivational quotes for students to study harder.
Forget writer’s block! One of the most frustrating feelings out there is student’s block; when your mind powers off, all the words on the page blend together, and you can’t seem to carry on.
As a student, I have had times when my brain feels too full to cram anything more inside. Thankfully, people wiser than myself have had a lot to say about learning, about ways to get motivated, and how to turn your inspiration into something rewarding.
I have compiled some of my favorite quotes (73 of them, to be exact!) for students to turn to when they are in need of a little extra inspiration.
This post is all about motivational quotes for students to study hard.
Photo by Thought Catalog
This collection is divided into six helpful sections, specifically for scholars such as yourself. First comes inspiration to work hard, something we all need from time to time.
Then: Overcoming failure, inspiring creativity, dealing with stress, and student life.
Finally, because education gives us the power to create something greater than ourselves, the final section is dedicated to community and positivity.
For my music lovers out there: At the end of each section, you may notice each quote comes from a song.
Find each song lyric, and by the end of the article you’ll have a short playlist for studying, commuting to class, or simply to enjoy!
Being a student is hard work. These quotes, however, will give your mind the motivation it needs to keep studying—who knows, maybe you will even discover a reason to get excited about what you are learning.
Table of Contents:
Motivation to Work hard
Finding the inspiration to go on can be one of the most difficult and ongoing trials of your college career.
It is a demanding point in life: This is typically your first swing at adulthood, coupled with an unprecedented mountain of work—who wouldn’t need some extra motivation?
Photo by Firmbee
- ‘We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.’ – Aristotle
Aristotle could not have summed it up more perfectly. Instead of thinking we are either exceptional or unexceptional, having a growth mindset—believing positive qualities are earned through work—can make us better students, and better people.
2. ‘Today is not just another ordinary day. It is an opportunity to do, or say, something that just might inspire someone to greater becoming.’ – T. F Hodge
Education can be a powerful tool when applied; who knows, maybe the assignment you are laboring over tonight could be an inspiration for somebody tomorrow!
- ‘Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.’ – T. S Eliot
There is no ceiling on how determined you can be, or, for what matter, what one can achieve with a little bit of ambition and focus.
- ‘Sometimes things can be possible if we want them bad enough.’ – T. S Eliot
I could not pass up the opportunity to share another quote from Eliot. As usual, he’s right: You determine your reality, so bring the things you want into being.
- ‘We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are.’ – Max De Pree
Like most worthwhile things, changing can be intimidating. A caterpillar cannot stay a caterpillar; you can only become who you want to be by evolving.
- ‘Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.’ – Walter H. Cottingham
Everyone is intelligent in their own way, so whether you consider yourself foolish (I know I do, from time to time) or not, this reminder is for you.
Once you find a passion, a talent, or an interest, your purpose is to expand on it.
- ‘We know what we are, but we know not what we may be.’ – William Shakespeare
The words of the immortal bard have inspired scholars for centuries. This quote from Hamlet reminds us that our potential is without limit, so chase it!
- ‘Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.’ – Tim Note
Made famous by Kevin Durant, this snippet of wisdom says everything in nine short words. Nothing is out of reach when you put in the effort, so don’t let the lazy talent-holders of the world intimidate you.
- ‘There are two things in life you are in total control over are your attitude and your effort.’ – Billy Cox
There is so much, especially at school, that we can’t control. Take it from a student of COVID: suddenly I was moving across countries, adapting to virtual classes (something I am sure very few of us miss), and not knowing what tomorrow would look like.
Through the chaos that is student life, you always have control over your outlook and the work you put into your studies.
- ‘I don’t like to doze by the fire. I like adventures, and I am going to find some.’ – Louisa May Alcott
I believe this is the only quotation in this collection which comes from a fictional character, but Jo March is a figure who is hard to erase.
We could learn a lot from her, too: Don’t just sit by the fire (or behind your phone screen), make the most of being young and adventurous!
Photo by GeoJango
- ‘I was born for something greater than I was—and greater I would become.’ – Mary Shelley
Solemn words, and they pack a punch. What better way to become something greater than to strengthen your mind?
- ‘Oh, it’s delightful to have ambitions. I’m so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them—that’s the best of it. Just as soon as you attain one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting.’ – L. M Montgomery
Ambition doesn’t have to be all caffeine and rage—though there is nothing more effective in fueling an all-nighter—, it can be beautiful, too.
- ‘I’m a shooting star leaping through the sky like a tiger, defying the laws of gravity. I’m a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva – I’m gonna go, go, go, there’s no stopping me.’ -Freddy Mercury, ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’
If this list gives you the push you needed to hit those books, you can check out BLENDtw’s other articles on studying, whether it’s for final exams, taking notes, or even books about the practice of studying.
You have arrived at my personal favorite section, which I curated to give you some heart and soul.
Whether you are searching for something to unblock those creative juices, or you are simply in need of some poetry, this section is for the creative minds out there.
All students need innovative energy, at the end of the day.
Photo by Anna Kolosyuk
- ‘Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.’ – Franz Kafka
Whether your obsession is academic success, true crime podcasts, or Victorian lampshades, don’t shy away! Embrace those things that make you feel most alive.
- ‘Creativity takes courage.’ – Henri Matisse
Three simple words, and very true. It can be hard to do what others are not doing; being creative in spite of it all is a sign of bravery.
- ‘Normality is a paved road; it’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.’ – Vincent van Gogh
This collection would not be complete without this classic from van Gogh. A reminder that some of the most beautiful things in life can only be found off the beaten path.
- ‘I will not be another flower, picked for my beauty and left to die. I will be wild, difficult to find, and impossible to forget.’ – Erin van Vuren
Another pointer to flowers; do I sense a theme? It makes sense that flowers should inspire creativity: Flowers are not only pretty—each is unique.
Photo by Anthony Fomin
- ‘Understand me. I’m not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul.’ – Charles Bukowski
Luckily, as students we are less likely to encounter subject matter that ‘has no soul.’ The knowledge your professors share, the major you choose, and the classes you take hold the potential to enrich your life and soul.
- ‘It is not madness. It is an effort to transcend the rigidities and the patterns made by the rational mind.’ – Anais Nin
Some people call it madness, some people call it transcendence. There will always be those who don’t understand your unique style of genius; grow your passions in spite of them.
- ‘Stars are not small or gentle. They are writhing and dying and burning. They are not here to be pretty. I am trying to learn from them.’ – Caitlyn Siehl
I know very well how hard it can be to see beyond the superficial. Sometimes I forget my goal in class is to learn, and not to be wearing the best outfit. Being well-dressed is one thing, but there is so much more to discover about one’s self beyond what is on the surface.
- ‘Art and love are the same thing: It’s the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you.’ – Chuck Klosterman
Why not try approaching those reading assignments with a little love? Beyond the puzzles of academic writing, there are usually human stories to be found, or something to learn about yourself through something outside your own being.
- ‘Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.’ – Albert Einstein
Who would want to move predictably, when one could go everywhere? I included this quote as a reminder that progress does not have to be linear; the most worthwhile adventures often come from the unexpected.
- ‘You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.’ – Oscar Wilde
Creativity is a renewable resource! So don’t be stingy with it—flex those creative muscles whenever you get the chance.
- ‘The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.’ – Sylvia Plath
When you do not trust yourself, it is difficult to create. This goes for artistic endeavors, but it also applies to any academic writing or schoolwork. Self-doubt only pollutes your work, so trust in your own knowledge and skill.
- ‘To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.’ – Osho
Talk about a worthwhile mission: Being in love with life. I think of love as a verb (thank you, bell hooks), and an essential part of that action is creativity. Human beings have always shown gratitude for being alive through art, music, writing, and beauty; creation is as vital and natural as breathing.
- ‘Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand. With an equal opportunity for all to sing, dance and clap their hands.’ – Stevie Wonder
Photo by Marius Masalar
Nobody gets everything right the first time. Sometimes not even the second, or third. As a student, we experience setback after setback throughout our college careers.
And boy, is it brutal! However, there are few obstacles which cannot be overcome, or failures which cannot be learned from.
With a little motivation, hopefully you will be able to bounce back from whatever is holding you down.
- ‘Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: The last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.’ – Viktor E. Frankl
College can be a time of feeling powerless. What cannot be taken from you, however, is your outlook. Perspective is a powerful tool; when used correctly, it can brighten any situation.
- ‘It is not until you change your identity to match your life blueprint that you will understand why everything in the past never worked.’ – Shannon L. Adler
Okay, okay, maybe you are not able to flee the country and commit fully to your alter ego every time you get a less-than-perfect exam score, but this advice rings true.
What Shannon Adler is saying is you must become the sort of person with the capacity to achieve all you want to achieve, and live the lifestyle you want to live.
- ‘When teachers doubt your potential, show them how wrong they truly are.’ – Ace Antonio Hall
I have had my fair share of professors who simply did not mesh with my style of learning, which can be one of the most frustrating obstacles in college.
Nothing is more rewarding, then, than proving yourself in spite of them.
- ‘You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.’ -C.S Lewis
If I had a time machine, there are a million things I would change, starting with telling my past self not to register for a select few of these classes.
No matter how badly I wish I could drop Economics, that is not within my reach at the moment. What is possible, however, is finishing out the class the right way—by working hard and staying motivated.
- ‘If you push through that feeling of being scared, that feeling of taking a risk, really amazing things can happen.’ – Marrisa Mayer
‘That feeling of being scared’ is all too familiar, and I find it only fades or evolves, rather than disappears, the deeper into university you go.
But take it from a self-identified risk-taker: The best parts of my life have been earned just beyond that feeling of fear. It is okay to be scared, of course, but it is better not to let that feeling rule your choices.
- ‘But we cannot simply sit and stare at our wounds forever.’ – Haruki Murakami
This quote brings a quiet sort of peace. It does not forbid sitting, or staring at one’s wounds for a short time, but offers a gentle reminder that this is not a permanent solution.
So sit, if you must, and nurse your wounds, but get up eventually.
- ‘We are all ordinary. We are all boring. We are all shy. We are all bold. We are all heroes. We are all helpless. It just depends on the day.’ – Brad Meltzer
There is no such thing as categories of people. We are all ordinary and extraordinary—the difference, usually, is the moment we are in. With this in mind, remember that a few setbacks or failures do not define who you are in the big picture.
- ‘The darker the night, the brighter the stars!’ – Appollon Maykov
I could not help but insert some outright positivity here. And why not! In your lowest moments, the parts of your life that matter most—maybe it is your friends, your family, your dog—are there to offer the most love and support.
- ‘I am interested in what Flannery O’Connor called a ‘moment of grace’: The point where people are forced to make a decision that either enables them to transcend a circumstance or succumb to it.’ – Simon Joyner
Speaking of perspective, why not consider your low points not as obstacles, rather, ‘moments of grace’? This is a crossroads, or better yet an opportunity to grow beyond a trial.
- ‘Success is not in what you have, but who you are.’ – Bo Bennett
Our reactions to failure define us more than our tangible achievements. Missing out on an opportunity is disappointing, to be sure, but opens up a chance to evolve.
- ‘Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.’ – Samuel Beckett
Beckett was a great—perhaps the greatest—author of failure and what it entails. I read this as a call for persistence: Even if you are failing a second time, the resistance against giving up gives you wisdom, if not immediate success.
- ‘I’m a Survivor, I’m not gon’ give up, I’m not gon’ stop, I’m gon’ work harder.’ – Destiny’s Child
Dealing with stress:
The emotion which has been most consistent throughout my time in college is, unfortunately, stress. In your campus bubble, every problem can seem like catastrophe!
Thankfully, our problems are very seldom as big as we make them to be in our mind.
Great minds have been coaching anxiety-ridden students for years on how do deal with the perpetual panic most of us feel; often, the solution starts with lowering those stress levels.
- ‘When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don’t seem to matter very much, do they?’ – Virginia Woolf
As we enter this more anxiety-filled area of the article, I thought a healthy amount of perspective could do us some good. Zooming out, our little problems seem small up against the vast expanse of the universe.
Whatever you are going through, remember: It’s not the end of the world!
- ‘One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else’s survival guide.’ – Brene Brown
Try observing this point of struggle in reverse; this will all be a story someday, so don’t invest in extra misery by sweating the details.
- ‘I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I don’t quit.’ – Shayne Mcclendon
Everybody needs a mantra or affirmation from time to time. Try saying this in front of your mirror when the water seems to be rising too high.
- ‘Just when you feel you have no time to relax, know that this is the moment you most need to make time to relax.’ – Matt Haig
We can only be powerful as long as we are nourished! Your body and mind are muscles—to be used, yes, but also to be rested and taken care of.
As counterproductive as it may seem in moments of anxiety, prioritizing relaxation is crucial. In fact, BLENDtw has an entire compilation of self-care quotes to remind you to ensure your hierarchy of needs is fulfilled.
Photo by Drew Jemmett
- ‘Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying doesn’t make it any better.’ -Walt Disney
Stress can be productive, yes, when it has the power to motivate. However, many things are beyond our control.
It is important to recognize once something is out of your hands; that is the moment to breathe, put it out of your mind, and call your friends for some good old-fashioned distraction.
- ‘The big, bad unknown is only that until it is known. Then you look back and wonder what all the fuss and worry was about.’ – S. A. Tawks
Here is another reminder to zoom out, see the big picture, and maybe cut down on the worries which are not productive.
- ‘If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.’ – Amit Ray
Interestingly, this is our second reminder in this compilation to breathe. It is a simple but potent cure against anxiety; our breath connects us to our body, as well as feeds the mind. So stay centered and take some deep breaths.
- ‘Scared is what you’re feeling. Brave is what you’re doing.’ – Emma Donoghue
As we saw in the section on overcoming failure, there is a real difference between what you do and the way you feel.
When dealing with stress, it is the action that matters most. Though you may feel the negativity of stress and fear, the steps you take in spite of all it are monumental.
- ‘My body needs laughter as much as it needs tears. Both are cleansers of stress.’ – Mahogany Silverrain
Not wanting to suggest you suppress all this negativity, I included this nugget of wisdom as a reminder that one must allow themselves to feel.
Unfortunately it is not possible to put your head down and power through everything; a good cry session can work as well as medicine.
- ‘A day of worrying is more exhausting than a day of work.’ – John Lubbock
After you have had that cry sesh, it could be time to put aside those worries and get to work. Try channeling your stress into productive outlets: don’t fixate on the due date, just focus on the next piece of the puzzle.
- ‘You will never be able to experience everything. So, please, do poetical justice to your soul and simply experience yourself.’ – Albert Camus
A huge source of stress can be the fear you’re not doing enough. Not to worry: your only job is to exist and experience.
- ‘Ain’t got no cash, ain’t got no style, ain’t got no girl to make you smile? Don’t worry, be happy.’ – Bobby McFerin
People have been students for thousands of years. Living off of ramen may have shrunk our memories a bit, and we can forget to appreciate the romance of being a scholar.
Getting lost in piles of books, spending a day learning and writing, and living as a student makes us part of a long tradition of academia.
While this era may only last a few years for the majority of students, appreciating the history and aesthetics of a scholarly lifestyle can enrich each of those years.
Photo by Clarisse Meyer
- ‘Do question, even the basics!
You will be a fool for once!
If you don’t, you will be, for a lifetime.’ – Himmilicious
It is an appealing thought, being the smartest in the class from day one. What is more valuable than natural knowledge, however, is openness to learning, asking questions, and even looking foolish from time to time.
- ‘Books are the mirrors to the soul.’ – Virginia Woolf
Books can be more than instruments of cruel and unusual punishment. Without the weight of assignments attached, books are in themselves very human.
They reflect experience and emotion, as well as knowledge.
- ‘I will cut adrift—I will sit on pavements and drink coffee—I will dream; I will take my mind out of its iron cage and let it swim.’ – Virginia Woolf
Another Virginia Woolf quote—sue me. I couldn’t resist; this is a perfect articulation of the romantic side of being a student. Why not revel in it a bit?
- ‘Study hard what interests you most in the most undisciplined, irreverent, and original manner possible.’ – Richard Feynmann
‘Studying hard’ does not have to mean intense boredom. When you are able to find passion for your subject matter, you create room for something radical.
- ‘You are always a student, never a master. You have to keep moving forward.’ – Conrad Hall
Even after getting a degree, there is always more to learn. So think of yourself as a perpetual student; the best learners are committed to the role for a lifetime.
- ‘The capacity to learn is a gift, the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice.’ – Brain Herbert
By entering university, you have proven you hold capacity and ability to learn, but the choice to learn is ongoing. Keep choosing your education—you’re two-thirds there!
- ‘I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.’ – Vincent van Gogh
Nobody pops into this world as a master of all trades. If you want to be good at something or learn a new skill, that means trying something new at the risk of being less-than-competent on the first go.
- ‘I have lived a thousand lives and I have loved a thousand loves. I’ve walked on distant worlds and seen the end of time. Because I read.’ – George R. R. Martin
If I have not convinced you to romanticize your readings, take it from the author of A Game of Thrones instead.
He offers an enticing deal—why settle for one life, when you could experience many?
Photo by Annie Spratt
- ‘Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow.’ – Richard Baxter
A grueling lecture can leave your brain feeling more shallow than usual. Thankfully, every student has as much capacity to hold information as they have a will to study and review.
- ‘Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.’ – Mahatma Gandhi
You may not be able to rely on much in this life—money comes and goes, as do people—, but one thing you can always carry with you is knowledge.
When you create a mind you can live in and rely on, you will never be left without resources.
- ‘The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books.’ – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
This rhyme offers us a peaceful reminder to pick up those books, curl up in a quiet corner, and get lost between the pages.
- ‘It’s a thousand pages, give or take a few. I’ll be writing more in a week or two. I can make it longer if you like the style. I can change it ‘round and I want to be a paperback writer.’ – The Beatles
Community and positivity:
As you are making your way through piles and piles of work, you may think, ‘what’s the point?’
There is hardly a more discouraging question, but luckily there are a multitude of answers. Your education is a forceful thing—not only to make a better life to yourself, but as a means to help others.
It is easy to become discouraged within our own narrow mindsets; look outward then, and learn not only for yourself but for those who do not have the same opportunities or unique set of skills.
Photo by Hannah Busing
- ‘If it is true there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.’ – Leo Tolstoy
The quote from Anna Karenina is the perfect opener to this section: The way each person shows they care is completely unique. Try finding out about the kinds of heart inside the people you love, as well as your own!
- ‘Surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams, encourage your ideas, support your ambitions, and bring out the best in you.’ – Roy T. Bennett
Community can give us everything, in life and in university. Don’t surround yourself with people who drag you down; find those who bring out the best in you.
- ‘When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else. This is not just a grab-bag candy game.’ – Toni Morrison
Assignments and deadlines can be existentially discouraging. You may find the motivation to go on, however, when you envision the ways this education can serve as a powerful tool not just to yourself, but to your community and those you love.
- ‘I dwell in possibility.’ – Emily Dickinson
Instead of hyperfocusing on let-downs and high expectations, inhabiting a hopeful mindset can keep things in perspective.
- ‘The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise.’ – Maya Angelou
There is certainly nothing wrong with ambition. Alongside those grand goals, however, have the wisdom to improve the lives of those around you, as well as your own.
- ‘Never cut what you can unite.’ – Robert Frost
Since we are all relatively untested in the world, college can be a cutthroat time of ladder-climbing and kissing up to the professor.
More important than the academic food chain is learning to bring people together, rather than tearing down the competition.
- ‘In people’s lives I want to be that which does not hurt.’ – Marina Tsvetayeva, in a letter to Rainer Maria Rilke
This is a noble aspiration, put very simply. If you do not feel you have enough positivity within you to spread goodness actively, it can be enough to be a neutral, non judgemental, or gentle presence in someone’s life.
- ‘Never trust your fears. They don’t know your strength.’ – Athena Singh
We tend to think we are a compilation of the worst parts of ourselves: Fear, self-doubt, or the way we behave on bad days.
What most people take for granted, however, are all the impressive and positive qualities they have—it is with these traits progress can be created.
- ‘I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.’ – Mother Teresa
Your minute choices may not seem to make much of an impact at first glance. But never underestimate the power of a butterfly effect; a good deed, even small, can make a huge impact.
- ‘Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself—what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.’ – Warsan Shire
Good advice! Try to preserve what you most admire about yourself in the moments when you are at your best. Hang onto those moments for when you need them most.
- ‘When joy is a habit, love is a reflex.’ – Bob Goff
Being a positive member of your community does not have to be a chore; loving those near you becomes more and more natural the more you practice it.
- ‘Now I may have faith to make mountains fall, but if I lack love then I am nothing at all. I can give away everything I possess, but left without love, then I have no happiness.’– Ms. Lauryn Hill
Final Thoughts on Motivational Quotes for Students to Study Hard
Whether you found motivation from one or two sections, or you made it through all 73 quotes, this compilation has a lot to offer in the way of wisdom.
Don’t be shy—feel free to revisit a section when the stress starts building again, when you need a reminder of why you started this degree in the first place, if you are in need of motivational quotes to study harder, or simply some words of encouragement.
Do you need more motivation? Check out the video below.
THAT’S A WRAP! DID YOU LIKE THE ARTICLE?
PIN FOR LATER!
Other College Posts You May Like:
80 Selfish Quotes – Best Quotes About Not Being Selfish
Are you feeling selfish and looking for some inspiration on how to be okay with selfishness? Check out these quotes about selfishness that will make you feel better.
For selfish people their things and their needs always come first. And in some cases, the rest don’t even exist for them. It is practically impossible for them to understand that there are others with needs besides their own.
Their gaze is so focused on themselves that everything else is blurred or disappears. It is said that those kinds of people are not capable of giving up something of their own in order to include the needs of the other.
It’s okay to be selfish at times and not place everyone in front of you, because you can´t always prioritize the needs of others over your own.
But on the other hand, you can´t always be the center of attention, and your problems are not the hardest ones in the world, so it’s good to have in mind that if you can help someone in any kind of way, you should.
Not everyone has the same blessings and misfortunes, you never know what others around you are battling with, so being considerate with the ones around you can really make a difference in another person’s life.
And as the Chinese proverb says “if you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.” Selfishness is a behavior that presents very notorious characteristics, which we detect daily in many people with whom we share life.
It may be that we are in a relationship with a selfish person, that we have a co-worker who acts selfishly, or that a friend or family member behaves that way.
The truth is that sharing life with a selfish person is not easy. So here I leave you with these heartwarming selfish quotes that will make you think twice at the opportunity of helping someone.
In this post:
- Best Quotes About Selfishness
- Best Quotes About Not Being Selfish
- Selfish Quotes About Love
- Selfish Quotes for Her
- Selfish Quotes for Friends
Best Quotes About Selfishness
- ¨ Who wants everything every time will lose everything anytime. ¨- Vikrant Parsai
- ¨ Selfishness is the most unattractive virtue a mortal can possess. ¨ – Suyasha Subedi
- ¨ Selfishness is the greatest challenge for a coach. Most players are more concerned with making themselves better than the team. ¨ – John Wooden
- ¨ Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets, their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming. ¨- Steve Maraboli
- ¨ The happiest is the man who is not at all selfish. ¨ – Viveka Vani
- ¨ Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either. ¨ – Erich Fromm
- ¨ Selfishness and greed, individual or national, cause most of our troubles. ¨- Harry S. Truman
- ¨ The only difference between a hero and a villain is that the villain chooses to use that power in a way that is selfish and hurts other people. ¨ – Chadwick Boseman
- ¨ While selfishness joins hands with no one of the virtues, benevolence is allied to them all. ¨ – Oliver Goldsmith
- ¨ Selfishness is not living as one wishing to live. It is asking others to live s one wishes to live. ¨ – Oscar Wilde
- ¨ It´s enough to indulge and to be selfish but true happiness is really when you start giving back. ¨- Adrian Grenier
- ¨ Selfish people try to keep or get things but they lose people. ¨ – Hannah Garrison
- ¨ Remember that life is too precious to be wasted on selfish people who have no desire to help anyone but themselves. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ It is impossible to be both selfish and happy. ¨ – Dark Angel
- ¨ No man is more cheated than the selfish man. ¨ – Henry Ward Beecher
- ¨ The age of selfishness and greed is over. The age of kindness and generosity is underway. ¨ – Laurence Overmire
- ¨ Earth provides enough to satisfy every man´s needs, but not every man´s greed. ¨ – Mahatma Gandhi
- ¨ Having trouble spotting a selfish person? It´s about their schedule, their needs, their hurt feelings, their ideas, their goals, their…¨ – Shannon Thomas
- ¨ The selfish man suffers more from his selfishness than he from whom that selfishness withholds some important benefit. ¨- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- ¨ There is only one force stronger than selfishness, and that is stupidity. ¨ – Ellen Glasgow
Best Quotes About Not Being Selfish
- ¨ A red rose is not selfish because it wants to be a red rose. It would be horribly selfish if it wanted all the other flowers in the garden to be both red and roses. ¨- Oscar Wilde
- ¨ If you want to be accepted as you are, but you expect others to be perfect… You are selfish! ¨ – Quentin McCall
- ¨ Don´t be selfish, don’t be selfless, just be self – full. ¨ – Pretty Smart Techie
- ¨ Intensely selfish people re always very decided s to what hey wish. They do not waste their energies considering the good of others. ¨ – Ouida
- ¨ Don´t be selfish; don´t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don´t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. ¨ – Dariene Zshech
- ¨ As selfishness and complaint pervert the mind, so love with its joy clears and sharpens the vision. ¨- Helen Keller
- ¨ Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. ¨- Khalil Gibran
- ¨ To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. ¨- Gustave Flaubert
- ¨ Selfish people don´t consider how their behavior affects the other. Their own convenience is all that matters. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ Motives for greed and selfishness are often attributed to toil and source of riches. ¨ – Michael Bassey Johnson
- ¨ Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires. ¨ – Lao Tzu
- ¨ If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. ¨ – Dalai Lama
- ¨ Save me from elfish and negative people. And also, from those who have bad habits. ¨ – Sunita Sharma
- ¨A man is called selfish not for pursuing his own good, but for neglecting his neighbors. ¨- Richard Whately
- ¨ A good man cares about others. A good man has not only selfish desires. He is not only centered in himself. A bad man has no concern for others. He has only selfish concerns. He is centered in his own world. ¨ – Swami Dhyan Giten
- ¨ Selfishness is neither good nor bad – it depends on the way e are selfish s to whether it nourishes or injures. ¨ – Hugh Prather
- ¨ Selfishness at the expense of others is bad. Self-care or the betterment of others is good. ¨ – Richie Norton
- ¨ Selfishness isn´t bad, but being so at the cost of someone’s happiness, is a sin. ¨ – Akki
- ¨ Selfish people often mistake selfishness for strength It takes no talent, no intelligence, no self-control and no effort to sacrifice other people for your ego. ¨- Unknown
- ¨ Selfish people are, by definition, those whose activities e devoted to bringing themselves happiness. Yet… these selfish people are far less likely to be happy than those whose efforts are devoted to making others happy. ¨ – Bernard Rimland
Selfish Quotes About Love
- ¨ People don´t abandon the people they love. People abandon the people they were using. ¨- Unknown
- ¨ If you love without sacrifice, it is selfish. Such a love is barter, for there is exchange of love and devotion in return or something. It is conditional love. ¨ – Dada Vaswani
- ¨ Love wasn´t selfless, and it wasn´t selfish either. It was saying that another person´s self was just as important as yours, and expecting them to feel the same way. ¨- Rose Lerner
- ¨ Love is the most selfish of all the passions. ¨ – Alexandre Dumas
- ¨ Selfishness does not consist in love for yourself, but in a big degree of such love. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ Selfishness, control, and fear will break almost any relationship. Generosity, freedom, and love will create the most beautiful relationship: an ongoing romance. ¨ – Don Miguel Ruiz
- ¨ Selfishness and love are not bedfellows, and that is the reason why we cannot be together anymore. ¨- Unknown
- ¨ Love is the highest act of selfishness, the best gift you can give to yourself. ¨- Bernard Werber
- ¨ Self-love is not selfishness, in fact, it´s a true love that nobody could do to you. ¨- Bhagyashree
- ¨ Love is the most ethically consistent experience, because selfishness and altruism no longer seem opposed or in conflict. ¨- Peter Breggin
Selfish Quotes for Her
- ¨ But more women should be selfish, ´ she said. ´Or else the world will trample you. ¨ – Tayari Jones, An American Marrriage
- ¨ I´m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I´m out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can´t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don´t deserve me at my best. ¨ – Marylin Monroe
- ¨ By nice women . . . you probably mean selfish women who have no more thought for the underprivileged, overworked women than a pussycat in a sunny window for the starving kitten in the street. Now in that sense, I am not a nice woman, for I do care. ¨ – Nellie L. McClung
- ¨ Only two species of living creatures are able to use the love for their selfish purposes- women and cats. ¨- Unknown
- ¨ You know, Emily was a selfish old woman n her way. She was very generous, but he always wanted a return. She never let people forget what she had done for them – and, that way he missed love. ¨ – Agatha Christie
- ¨ I prefer a loose woman to a selfish one and a wanton to a fool. ¨- W. Somerset Maugham
- ¨ Good mothers make all kinds of choices. Making a decision that might sound selfish does not make a woman a bad mother. ¨ Jada Pinkett Smith
- ¨ Be selfish enough to have self-love, self-worth and self-respect. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ Because I´m selfish. I´m a coward. I´m the kind of girl who, when he might actually be of use, would run to stay alive and leave those who couldn´t follow to suffer d die. ¨- Suzanne Collins
- ¨ Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country f its beauty, its riches or its romance. ¨- Theodore Roosevelt
Selfish Quotes for Friends
- ¨ Some people aren´t loyal o you… They are loyal to the need of you. Once their needs change, so does their loyalty. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ You shouldn´t always be available for someone who doesn´t even ask how you’re doing. ¨ – RJYSH
- ¨ I have many friends who are selfish. So, I rather stay alone because loneliness is better than a loveless friendship. ¨- Annu
- ¨ Most people want to see you do better. But not better than them. ¨- London Mond
- ¨ Don’t be friends with Selfish people because they don’t care about you at all, they just want to use you for their own benefit…. ¨ – Dead Man Writeups
- ¨ Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch. ¨ ― Frank Sonnenberg
- ¨Your healing will begin the moment you realize who you need to distance yourself from.¨ ― r. m. drake
- ¨ A selfish friend invites you into their maze of painful emotions and then traps you there.¨ ― Christina J. Daniels
- ¨ None are so inconsiderate as those who demand nothing of life other than their own personal comfort. ¨ ― Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
- ¨ Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others…By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves. ¨ ― Gordon B. Hinckley
- “It’s hard to get people to overcome the thought that they have to take care of themselves first. It’s hard to get players to give in to the group and become selfless as opposed to selfish.” ― Isaiah Thomas
- “What you love is your own love. It’s not love, it’s selfishness. It’s not me you think of, but what you feel about me.” ― John Fowles, The Collector
- ¨ Selfishness is if you only remember a friend if you need something from them. ¨ – Unknown
- ¨ You´re either selfish, or you´re a servant… fundamentally selfish people are terrible friends, terrible lovers, terrible spouses, terrible Christians, terrible parents. They leave a terrible legacy. Will you be selfish? Will you be a servant?… A good marriage is a servant and a servant. ¨ – Mark Driscoll
- ¨ Selfish friends leave when times get tough. ¨- Sonya Teclai
- ¨ Selfish friends are your worst enemy. ¨ – Hasnat Ch
- ¨ A selfish man doesn´t care if his best friend drowns beside him. ¨- Joe Cervantes
- ¨ Selfish friends only have themselves in the end. ¨- Unknown
- ¨ I said I’m selfish, I’m a liar and I’m broken. Shit runs through my head every day that I would never tell anyone. You’re just like me. The only difference is that I’m honest enough to scream my flaws in the lines of this song¨ – Real Friends Dirty Water
- Selfish friends have a hard time understanding the fact that your life doesn’t revolve around them. ¨ – Christina J. Daniels
Final Thoughts on Selfish Quotes
Selfishness is nothing more than a problematic individualism that basically opposes self-interest and the interests of others. This anti-value puts men at odds with themselves by creating a hunger that cannot be satisfied.
Up to that point, it is a constant source of disease. It is a term associated with superfluous and extravagant needs.
Furthermore, it implies self-gain at the expense of others. Its means are inconsistent with self-realization and self-interest. And it doesn’t understand that human potential is fulfilled through one’s own efforts, without usurping what legitimately belongs to others.
This self-centered selfishness is the root from which we build a victimizing and reactive personality, always complaining and blaming something or someone external to us every time things don’t turn out as expected.
And it permanently reveals our feeling of emptiness and dissatisfaction, which leads us to obsessively seek sources of escape 24 hours a day.
Ironically, the more self-centered our worldview is, the more we see others as selfish. So, I hope these selfish quotes clean your energy and help you make that change in your attitudes that will surely lead you to a better and more peaceful life.
THAT’S A WRAP! DID YOU LIKE THE POST? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!
Other Posts You May Like
100 Best Brother Quotes – The Ultimate 2022 Guide
Are you having trouble thinking of ways to show your love for your brother? Check out these brother quotes to share your affection.
This post is all about brother quotes!
Here you´ll find the best brother quotes that will remind you how blessed you are to have a brother.
In houses where there is more than one child, there is crying, fighting and naughtiness, but there is also tenderness, affection, and protection.
Having a brother should not mean the loss of benefits but the gain of love, friendship, laughter and games.
Having a brother for any child or adult means not being alone in the face of life’s challenges, having company in difficult times and someone to lean on.
This relationship is usually the longest in our lives, and the most important one because it forms the guidelines of each one’s personality.
Brothers are companions of the soul, life and heart. Normally a brother relationship survives despite conflicts and rough times.
Appreciate every second you have with your brother because having a brother can be the greatest blessing in your life, yet the hardest farewell.
So let these brother quotes sink deep inside your heart, make you appreciate the unconditional partner you´ll have through this road called life, and help you express it to him with all the love he deserves.
Check out these Best brother quotes to share with your sibling!
In this post:
Best Brother Quotes
- “Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.” – Marc Brown
- “There´s no other love like the love for a brother. There´s no other love like the love from a brother.” – Astrid Alauda
- “A brother is a friend given by nature.” – Jean Baptiste Legouve
- “Because brothers don´t let each other wander in the dark alone.” – Jolene Perry
- “Once a brother, always a brother no matter the distance, no matter the difference, and no matter the issue.” – Byron Pulsifer
- “Only a brother can love like a father, annoy like a sister, care like a mother and support like a friend. I love you my brother.” – Joyce Knight
- “There is no success you can celebrate more than the success of a brother. – Diego Luna
- “Never make a companion equal to a brother.” – Hesoid
- “No one could understand the bond between me and my brother. I struggled to understand the forces that drove his soul in one direction and mine in another.” – Barry White
- “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. – King Solomon
- “Brothers don’t necessarily have to say anything to each other – they can sit in a room and be together and just be completely comfortable with each other.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
- “It takes two men to make one brother.” – Israel Zangwill
- “When I look at each of my brothers, I see two things. First, I see the next place I want to leave a rosy welt. Second, I see a good man who will always be there, no matter how hard life gets for me or him. Then, I get out of the way because I realize he’s coming at me with a wet dish towel.” – Dan Pearce
- “Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in their power, which no subsequent connections can supply.” – Jane Austen
- “Books are like brothers. I am an only child. Gatsby is my imaginary eldest brother.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “I think, am sure, a brother´s love exceeds all the world´s loves in its unworldliness.” – Robert Browning
- “Half the time when brothers wrestle, it´s just an excuse to hug each other.” – James Patterson
- “Brothers are children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together.” – Sam Levenson
- “What strange creatures brothers are!” – Jane Austen
- “No matter what you choose, you´ll always be my little brother.” Denahi, Brother Bear
Brother Quotes from Sister
- “I grew up with a younger brother, so I can get pretty rowdy.” – Sarah Wynter
- “Brother and sister, together as friends, ready to face whatever life sends.” – Robert Brault
- “There is a little boy inside the man who is my brother…. Oh, how I hated that little boy. And how I love him too.” – Anna Quindlen
- “Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet.” – Vietnamese Proverb
- “After a girl is grown, her little brothers, now her protectors, seem like big brothers.” – Terri Guillemets
- “As we grew up, my brothers acted like they didn´t care, but I always knew they looked out for me and were there!” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “She was sad, he was with her. She was mad, he was with her. She was happy, he was with her. Who was he? Boyfriend, best friend? Nah, brother…” – Mohit, The Writer´s Saying
- “Our brothers and sisters are there with us from the dawn of our personal stories to the inevitable dusk.” – Susan Scarf Merrell
- “Brothers and sisters can say things to one another that no one else can.” – Gregory E. Lang
- “Brother and sister, together as friends, ready to face whatever life sends. Joy and laughter or tears and strife, holding hands tightly as we dance through life.” – Suzie Huitt
- “Sisters and brothers just happen, we don´t get to choose them, but they become one of our most cherished relationships.” – Wes Adamson
- “The love between a brother and sister just over a year apart in age held fast. It wasn´t twinship, and it wasn´t romance, but it was more like a passionate loyalty to a dying brand.” Meg Wolitzer
- “As a brother and sister, our tastes were pretty different growing up. He liked a lot of early hip hop. My dad didn´t understand it and would try to talk him out of it.” – Taryn Manning
- “You can kid the world, but not your sister.” – Charlotte Gray
- “We shred parents, home, pets, celebrations, catastrophes, secrets. And the threads of our experience became so interwoven that we are linked. I can never be utterly lonely, knowing you share the planet.” – Pam Brown
- “The bond between a sister and brother sometimes tightly woven sometimes loosely held, but never broken.” – Niloy Sarbajna
- “To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each together as we always were. We know each other´s hearts. We share private family jokes. we remember family feuds and secrets; family grieves and joys. We live outside the touch of time.” – Clara Ortega
- “If you have a brother or sister, tell them you love them every day, that´s the most beautiful thing.” – Amaury Nolasco
- “Sisters and brothers are the truest, purest forms of love, family and friendship, knowing when to hold you and when to challenge you, but always being part of you.” – Carol Ann Albright Eastman
- “A sibling represents a person´s past, present, and future.” – John Corey Whaley
Funny Brother Quotes
- “Brothers that say they never fight, are most definitely hiding something.” – Lemony Snicket
- “Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring- quite often the hard way.” Pamela Dugdale
- “I miss my brother. Prince was a funny cat. Great sense of humor.” – Spike Lee
- “Everyone know that if you´ve got a brother you´re going to fight.”. – Liam Gallagher
- “For ever and ever, kid, until you´re tired of seeing me.” – Marie Lu, Legend
- “No, you should stay right where you are, or my estranged brother and I will settle our difference by seeing who can break more of your bones.” – Rachel Vincent, Before I wake
- “And of course, when you see your brother in the toilet bowl…there’s a little voice that say, ‘I wonder where he would go…’…if it hadn’t been for his head…” – Bill Cosby
- “God, I wish he and I had been genuinely close as opposed to the”Don’t-they-look-nice-together-in-the-airbrushed-family-portrait close.” – Douglas Coupland, Hey Nostradamus
- “You have a little brother,”she reminded him.“I know,”answered Yard Ape,”but we just keep him for a pet.” -” Beverly Clearly, Ramona´s World
- “To share your bread with your brother is the most beautiful thing to do.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Some girls have brothers who burp; some have brothers who punch them. I have one who thinks he’s parked at my house temporarily while he’s between intergalactic voyages.” – Cindy Callaghan, Lost in Hollywood
- “The only reason that some people aren’t ashamed of their parents and/or siblings is because they know that we know that they did not choose them.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Teddy said it was a hat, So I put it on. Now dad is saying,”where the heck’s the toilet plunger gone?” – Shel Silverstein
- “What brothers say to tease their sisters has nothing to do with what they really think of them.” – Esther M. Friesner, Nobody´s Princess
- “Siblings have always marked out territory through food.” – Bee Wilson, First Bite: How We Learn to Eat
- “Oh, brothers! I don’t care for brothers. My older brother won’t die, and my younger brothers seem never to do anything else.” – Oscar Wilde
- “The younger brother must help to pay for the pleasures of the elder.”Jane Austen
- “My elder brother won’t die, and my younger brothers seem never to do anything else.” – Oscar Wilde
- “I grew up with six brothers. That’s how I learned to dance – waiting for the bathroom.” – Bob Hope
- “The best way to get a puppy is to beg for a baby brother – and they’ll settle for a puppy every time.” – Winston Pendleton.
Heartwarming Emotional Brother Quotes
- “We came into the world like brother and brother; and now let´s go in hand, not one before another.” – William Shakespeare
- “In death as in life, we stand together, always a family, always a team. The brotherhood never dies.” – Marcus Luttrell
- “We didn´t realize we were making memories; we just knew we were having fun.” – Winnie the Pooh
- “Your parents leave you too soon and your kids and spouse come along late, but your siblings know you when you are in your most inchoate form.” – Jeffrey Kluger
- “Your brother is always the first male friend you will have in your life. Nobody will ever be able to understand your craziness like your brother and although you don’t see each other as much as you’d like, he will always remain your friend and be there for you when you need him the most. While people will come and go in your life, your brother will be in your heart for a lifetime.” – Ritu Ghatourey
- “He is my most beloved friend and my bitterest rival, my confidant and my betrayer, my sustainer and my dependent, and scariest of all, my equal.” – Gregg Levoy
- “The beauty of genuine brotherhood and peace is more precious than diamonds or silver or gold.” – Martin Luther King Jr
- “The crest and crowning of all good, life’s final star, is brotherhood.” – Edwin Markham
- “I grew up with an older brother, and the bond between siblings is unlike anything else, and it can be a real journey to accept what that bond is once you both mature into it. Because it’s not always what you want. It’s not always what you expect. It’s not always what you imagined or hoped. But it’s one of the most important things in the world.” – Ben Schnetzer
- “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.” – John Paul II
- “My brother is worth a thousand of your friend.” – Cersei Lannister
- “Will you be there for him if he needs you? Of course. Should you love him without question? Absolutely.” – David Levithan
- “The Wright Brothers flew right through the smoke screen of impossibility.” – Charles Kettering
- “Pain shared, my brother, is pain not doubled but halved. No man is an island.” – Neil Gaiman
- “When you are a grown up your brothers become your neighbors and your unconditional brotherhood become your conditional neighborhood.” – Amit Kalantri
- “Brotherhood means laying down your life for somebody, ready willing to sacrifice yourself for somebody else.” – Tim Hetherington
- “My loyalty to my brother is how I measure myself.” – Reggie Kray, Legend
- “A sibling may be the keeper of one´s identity, the only person with the keys to one´s unfettered or fundamental self.” – Marian Sandmaier
- “An ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship” – Spanish Proverb
- “Behind every great man, is a good brother.” – Nathan Followill
Long Distance Brother Quotes
- “Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!” – Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
- “Never forget who was with you from the start.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I´ll miss you, until we meet again.” – Richard Engelfriet
- “You went away so suddenly. We did not say goodbye. But brothers can never be parted. Precious memories never die.” – Khalil Gibran
- “What if I´m far from home oh brother I will hear you call, what if I lose it all oh sister, I will help you out oh if the sky is coming down for you there´s nothing in this world I wouldn´t do.” – Avicii
- “I miss my brother, and if you won´t fight for the things that made you happy then I´m going to fight for you.” – Krista Ritchie
- “Our path may change as life goes along, but the bond between us remains ever strong.” – Marian Sandmaier
- “A family together, never apart maybe in distance but never at heart.” – Anna Smith
- “You can put miles between you and your family but you carry them with you; you live in a world and a world lives in you.” – Frederick Buechner
- “Love knows no distance, it hath no continent, its eyes are for the stars.” – Gilbert Parker
- “Distance between two people is inconsequential when their souls are united.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
- “Distance makes the heart grow fonder.” – Thomas Haynes Bayly
- “Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness.” – Albert Einstein
- “Oceans separate lands, not souls.” – Munia Khan
- “Sometimes you have to be apart from the people you love, but that doesn´t make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.” – Nicholas Spark
- “I found that I missed him the more he was absent from my life, and the more I missed him, the more I loved him.” – Donna Lynn Hope
- “It´s not the distance that´s the enemy, but the endless time I have to wait to hold you in my arms.” – Livius Besski
- “The distance may be far and wide, but my heart can cover them all. The space between us is so much more but you should know that. I love you so!” – Linda Roy
- “Distance means so little when someone means so much.” – Tom McNeal
- “As long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we´re still together.” – Donna Lynn Hope
There is no relationship comparable to that established between siblings. Despite the tense moments, even despite those battles in which they seem to become irreconcilable enemies, the bond that unites brothers is something special.
During childhood, each brother might deploy certain strategies to get the attention of their parents, but once they reach maturity, siblings often leave the differences of the past to take care of each other.
It is a special bond that they do not choose. It is the blood that unites them, and it is the day-to-day experiences that build a union that knows no time, gender or age.
Brothers are also the ones who forge many features of the other’s identity, and they stand up as a supporter in challenging moments. Our brothers are a bond of union and balance that will always accompany us.
We all have our nuances, our follies and responsibilities. We share the same traits and we even laugh the same. And although we have taken different paths, we are always united by the same lane: love.
So, if you have the luck of having a brother, share these heartwarming quotes with them, because there is no moment quite like the present to show our love for one another.
Check out this video of beautiful brother quotes!
THAT’S A WRAP! THIS POST WAS ALL ABOUT BROTHER QUOTES! DID YOU LIKE THE POST? SHARE THE LOVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
PIN FOR LATER!
Other Post You May Like